Growing citrus fruit

Caprier

Growing citrus fruit

Post by Caprier »

Would appreciate some detailed advice on growing citrus successfully. Over the years, I've lost an embarrassing number of lemon, lime, orange and satsuma trees :oops: (Although last winter's losses were more to do with temps of -17C). And that is after reading everything I can find on the subject :roll:
I'm going to have one last try with a lemon, a 'caviar lime' and a mandarin.
Are there any soil mixes that you'd recommend? Favourite fertilisers? Winter care? TIA :)
Conifers

Re: Growing citrus fruit

Post by Conifers »

Move to southern Spain :mrgreen: :lol:

Citrus is always going to be a non-starter when you get -17°C.
Caprier

Post by Caprier »

:D No way, not even for the citrus...
Apparently the low temps last winter were 'exceptionel' and will not be repeated in my lifetime...according to the neighbours, anyway. But then they said that it never snows here and there's a very strange coating of cold, white stuff on the fields at the moment!
I don't expect to be able to grow them outside all year round, they'll be in pots and brought under cover in winter. That's the snag, though....what growing medium? What size pots? The bought plants I've had over the years have been in a wide variety of soils and composts and the stuff sold here for citrus and 'mediterranean plants' is cr@ppy chopped bark- based road sweepings, so I'll mix my own.
The danger point seems to be in Spring...I suppose I overwater too soon :roll: So I wondered what you do??
the diplomat

Post by the diplomat »

No need to move to Southern Spain instead take a look at Menton, a town on the Cote d'Azur. It is famous for its citrus growing prowess, so much so that each February, it holds its Fete du Citron. The citrus grow freely in Menton. It is a prolific citrus growing area and at the Grand Palais Carnoles, you will find the largest single area dedicated to growing citrus fruit such as: lemons, oranges, kumquats, grapefruits, cedra etc. Got a feeling it's much more about the climate and how one looks after them than what they are potted up in. Maybe there's an association in Menton that can help you? This photo taken in Menton last Saturday, Good luck
Attachments
P1010812.JPG
P1010812.JPG (209.25 KiB) Viewed 988 times
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I think getting the right variety for your conditions is important some seem to be far more forgiving than others. I was lucky enough to buy a reject lemon one autumn from a car boot for a couple of quid. Put it in normal multipurpose compost, feed and water it as required, and put it in a sunny position. It flowers and fruits every year. I just drag it inside if it looks like freezing. No problems at all. Perhaps I have been lucky. Now where's my gin and tonic with my home grown lemon. drunken_smilie1 icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You can get Citrus type plants capable of taking -17c in their stride. There is a big breeding thing in the US crossing with Citrange. Unfortunately on most of these the fruit is only suitable for marmalade. I have a Citrange called 'Rusk' in far too small a tub, but has survived December 2010 here. No fruit yet but maybe this is the year to repot :wink:

While looking for the hardy plant, I also read up on Citrus cultivation, and the most important factors are pH, Watering and Drainage. They do best in ericaceous soil, preferably loam, with plenty of coarse grit added, as the roots MUST have oxygen.

For the sweet Orange type. Poor drainage and not getting air back down to the roots are one of the main causes of failure. Water with rain water and flood the plant to ensure wetted right through.Then back off watering until the top 5cm or so are dry, then flood again. Feed with an ericaceous or ctirus feed.... they also love an occasional dose of magnesium (epsom salts).

jungle jas, I have never got anything to do well in straight MP compost. for me MP stands for 'Murders Plants'. Far, far too moisture retentive, so I think you need to specify what brand of MP and exactly how you water. I have heard how some people just chuck Cacti into MP and claim they grow well, but 99.9% don't have that success.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Caprier »

If only we got the same climate as Menton, here! Every February for the last six years, I've promised myself a trip to the Cote d'Azur to see and smell the mimosas and citrus.....someday :)
It sounds as though lack of drainage may have been the big killer. There's a product called pouzzolane which I think is a volcanic rock? which I've added to the soil-mix. It definitely helps keep the compost 'open', is neutral Ph and doesn't break down. Ericaceous feed, special citrus feed, yep, they've all had those :) They've had the scale insects and mealy bugs faithfully wiped off the leaves :roll:
So can only try not to get carried away with the watering too soon, too often. Cheers guys!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

you may also find a plant will be more cold tolerant if generally happy :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jungle jas »

Dave Brown wrote:
jungle jas, I have never got anything to do well in straight MP compost. for me MP stands for 'Murders Plants'. Far, far too moisture retentive, so I think you need to specify what brand of MP and exactly how you water. I have heard how some people just chuck Cacti into MP and claim they grow well, but 99.9% don't have that success.
Dave, interesting points you make there, I f you lived were I do I'm afraid you wouldn't be quite so fussy in what bags of compost you buy as choice is none existent. I live about one and a half hours in any direction to a decent shopping area, so take what I can get. As stated because of that I plant all my plants in 100% MP compost. When we went over from a peat based compost to the rubbish we have now I had problems I solved this by not firming the soil down when repotting my plants and just watering in the compost around the plants. this keeps the compost far more open and free draining. That works for me icon_thumright I recently bought three very nice palms from Vic on EPS his soil has perlite added and I just hate it, the water just goes straight through so shortly I am going to re pot into some nice MP compost. :lol:

As for watering this of course is the key. I check and water my plants if necessary twice a week. I therefor water little and often if in doubt I feel the soil although if you know your plant you already know what they need with a slight variation for weather conditions. Also I don't grow many plants that have iffy roots just Bananas and a couple of palms. These you advised me to water from the bottom last year which I have done and it has worked beautifully. Thanks. I don't think I can add much, all I can say is it worked for me. icon_cheers The only other thing I can add is that I come from a family that were growers and farmers so its in my DNA I also think a lot of people have lost touch with being able to grow plants. icon_thumright