t.rex

Mr List

t.rex

Post by Mr List »

just wondering if anybody knows where you can get large t.rexes, about a metre tall or more?
also,
any reliable sources of the monster type rather than the regular rex?
Kristen

Re: t.rex

Post by Kristen »

Mr List wrote:just wondering if anybody knows where you can get large t.rexes, about a metre tall or more?
Sounds expensive - given the pot size I think it would need??

I have mine in a pot, so it could come in for its first Winter. Its 60cm tall (to the growing point) and in a 60cm pot (which is OK for overwintering, but probably too small to grow to that size?)

I reckon it will be massive, in leaf, this year at that size - not sure 1M plant, pot grown, would be any more impressive?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They don't have rootball Ken. They have far reaching individual roots which is why they sulk in pots. A 20cm tall one will be 1m by the end of the season. A 1m tall one will spend the whole season trying to settle in. I did a topic on one of mine in the front garden. Tt gained about 5 times in size from July to October :wink: Pups, on established roots, grow to about 1.5m in their first season.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

it is just where i plan on putting one it would need to be above other things already planted to really fit.
they are a bit of a pain in the 'arris when small because the leaves smother everything.

it is early days yet anyway, i need to see if the things there have survived or not before i decide if i will rearange the spot.

just now i found palm centre do them upto 2m in a 35ltr pot but they are out of stock of all sizes.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have never seen one that size for sale. But will let you know if I do. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:
just now i found palm centre do them upto 2m in a 35ltr pot but they are out of stock of all sizes.
must be smaller than mine then, as when 2m tall mine is over 3m diameter.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

how do you mean?
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

I remember seeing some at Akamba a couple of years ago that had stems that must have been 6 foot tall but with very stunted leaves
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

dont buy a big one Ken,its robbery for such a fast growing plant. im all for supporting nurseries and paying good money for time and care raising plants but these things are just a quick buck . i once paid double for a steroidal giant,24 quid,the ordinary one i have is faster and produces root cuttings.
get a smaller one and do it yourself icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

How do you get root cuttings from these, is it a easy process
grub

Post by grub »

Can't do any better than this Parkysparky... http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... ropagation
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my steroidal giant shrunk about 8 inches saturday night,a blastard slug ate right through the stem just below the growing point,cant find any of it,not even the 2 new leaves???
only reason i say slug is because theres a trail all over the stump at the top
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

thanks grub for link, also loving your posts on facebook. Saw your tropicalbritain link on there and ordered some gingers and trachys. Got palm points and really good strong plants.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have just broken the trunk of my T Rex by accident, so it is now on my purchasing list.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:I have just broken the trunk of my T Rex by accident, so it is now on my purchasing list.
Don't worry Rob, it'll shoot up everywhere!