different bananas

Kristen

Re: different bananas

Post by Kristen »

How are you going to handle them in the Spring Mr L?

Around about now they are going to be wanting to send up some rollers, and I think they will need some light then? but still chilly nights if you don't have a conservatory / greenhouse big enough to house their height.
fieldfest wrote:if going tender what about 'Montbeliardii'?
Might be better to choose maurelii rather than montbeliardii? as montbeliardii is a lot more upright, and thus more difficult to house it's height once it starts shooting
Vagetarian

Re: different bananas

Post by Vagetarian »

Mr List wrote:I bought ones of those from amulree and it never grew and just died.
stuff like that puts me off trying a plant again.
I missed this post but if you bought yours in the same year as Palmer and I then it might have been balbisiana (see my 'Unknown banana' thread).

And after much waiting, here is Helen's Hybrid for both Mr List and Kristen. Germination was as easy as velutina or Musella. The leaf looks a little more red in the photo than it is in reality, it's quite purple as an emerging roller. It's funny how every leaf has that green margin on the same side every time. icon_scratch It's quite like a sikki but with waxy stems and larger leaves.
DSC_0268.jpg
DSC_0269.jpg