different bananas

Mr List

different bananas

Post by Mr List »

I am growing what sikis I have left in pots that are stored frost free in the cellar ,leafless and in the dark.

I realised just now that since I am not going for bananas that can survive outside I could most likely grow some rarer or more unusual musa species.

so musa that are ok down to 0c as an absolute minimum (for short spells) and can go dormant.

any suggestions?
something with nice colouring eg?
Vagetarian

Re: different bananas

Post by Vagetarian »

Not sure about 0c but 'Thai Black' could be worth a go. It certainly goes into dormancy for me and it's pretty stunning with it's black p-stem.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

any piccies? :)
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Sadly no pics of my own one as it's tucked in the corner of my conservatory, behind the other 15 nanas. :lol:

I see there's not really any good pics on google either, YK has posted some pics of his here somewhere though.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

What about the variant sikkies with the stronger red colouring such as 'Bengal tiger' or 'red tiger'.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Variegated one?

Musa zebrina?

"Jungle" have a bundle offer: Musa Helens Hybrid, Musa balbisiana Atai Black and Musa Cheesmanii for £35
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I should check out that site
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Isn't there one with letters in its name that folk hanker after? "aaae" or something like that is all I can remember. Might be that they are after it for its fruiting though perhaps.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

AeAe, it has lengthwise striped variegated fruits as well as variegated leaves. But it's insanely expensive and I'm pretty sure it's also very very tender.

I don't like my cheesmanii very much but my Helens Hybrid is a stunner. Massive, thick & wide leaves which are almost entirely purple on the undersides. I prefer sikkimensis to basjoo because I think the leaves are much more exotic and my Helens Hybrid takes that several more steps away from the looks of basjoo, definitely one of my favourites.

Always wanted a zebrina but have almost given up after trying several hundred seeds.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

musa lasiocarpa is a different looking banana, easy to obtain, takes plenty of cold too.

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Vagetarian wrote:AeAe
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks :)
very very tender.
:(
I prefer sikkimensis to basjoo because I think the leaves are much more exotic
I agree, I think the Basjoo is "disappointing" looking by comparison.
Helens Hybrid takes that several more steps away from the looks of basjoo, definitely one of my favourites.
Sounds like I can't afford not to have one of those then :)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

mekong giant is supposed to be hardy. from amulree

if going tender what about 'Montbeliardii'?

sikki red/bengal tiger is pretty nice see mine here centre of picture next to basjoo (still young for me):

I have a few but some hardly have any stripes and others like this one are really red
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

going with some sikki hybrids sounds a good idea.

can rajapuri go dormant for storage?
it is supposed to have really wide leaves for the length of them.
call

Post by call »

musa manii has an amazing flower, is small and can take temps down to 0
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I bought ones of those from amulree and it never grew and just died.
stuff like that puts me off trying a plant again.