Tepid water in crown's?.

karl66

Tepid water in crown's?.

Post by karl66 »

How many are pouring tepid water in & around crown/spear?, or could this do more harm than good?. karl.
kata

Re: Tepid water in crown's?.

Post by kata »

To what Karl?

Crown I think of Fern, spear I think of Trachicarpus etc.

:)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I wouldn't, with the windchill, and lack of sun, as any warmth in the water will quickly be blasted away and then may freeze the crown of a palm. Probably less so for Dicksonia antarctica. It is normally ok for night frosts in April with sunny days, but not the Ice Age type freeze we are seeing.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

IMO Karl, with the temps as they are, dry / cold is better than wet / cold in the crown of any plant. Plants are not actively growing at the mo and don't need additional water
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks. Arlon, it wasn't to add additional water but to melt the thick snow/ice on the growing point's, i've been off work since thursday & am also snowed off today!!, we have had it really bad here :( , there's no sign of sun to melt it!!. karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Best thing is go get the gloves on and manually remove the snow/ice from around the palm leaves and growth point. Also worth doing this for any Dicksonia antarctica.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Done that yesterday tom!!, two thing's though, first its impossible to do this with large trunked yucca's especially multiheaded thompsonia :x , lastly try doing it to over 100 plants!!. Believe it or not i've just come back from looking at a job 8 miles from me it, there was no snow 3c ? here i'm almost snowed in 1c :shock: . karl.