Bent fortunei trunk.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Bent fortunei trunk.

Post by Dave Brown »

It's hardly bent Karl. It will straighten up and if a very slight kink in the trunk, it will add character IMO. Some people plant them with a deliberate lean to produce something out of the ordinary. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Looks great karl, can see why you bought it. Nice decent healthy head too, looks Italian with the stronger wind resistant leaves.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Dave Brown wrote: Some people plant them with a deliberate lean to produce something out of the ordinary. :wink:
I would have done just that i think Karl, accentuate it and not try to hide it.................... icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon, i take it you mean plant the trunk with it leaning so the crown is straight?, i wonder how this would eventually turn out?, would the trunk still straighten over time even though planted at such an angle?. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

karl66 wrote:Arlon, i take it you mean plant the trunk with it leaning.......
I would Karl, make a bit of a novelty of it. As you said , if it were a D.A you'd lean it so why not try the same with the Trachycarpus.....make it a little different. May be plant it close to another Trachycarpus but leaning away from it and then let it straighten itself up, a cluster of trachies........ icon_thumleft
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

What a corker - congratulations
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Update; have done some re-ajusting in the planting hole this morning!, it now look's a million times better & doubles as a canopy above some of my fatsia!. So impressed with the overhaul quality of these i'm getting another 1 or possibly 2 more :D , i'm going to plant the other/other's in my fernery side of the garden, as the crowns are so wide they'll act as an umbrella over the dicksonia antartica. karl.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hi, Where did you get the trachycarpus Fortunei from :?:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

fern Rob wrote:Hi, Where did you get the trachycarpus Fortunei from :?:
rob, nigel at hardypalms is probably your best bet for large fortunei & he'll do you a deal if you ask nicely!!. I dont really want to disclose on the forum where these last few came from for a few reasons. Regards karl.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Dave Brown wrote:Some people plant them with a deliberate lean to produce something out of the ordinary. :wink:
With Trachycarpus I always plant them vertically, but any small palms or cycads, I deliberately plant at an odd angle to add interest... icon_thumright