faking epiphytes?

Mr List

faking epiphytes?

Post by Mr List »

just wondering if anybody had tried mounting some hardy alpines to use as fake versions of proper epiphytes.
if that makes sense.

like sempervivums look nice and tropical, would they survive mounted on a branch?
jungle jas

Re: faking epiphytes?

Post by jungle jas »

Mr List wrote:just wondering if anybody had tried mounting some hardy alpines to use as fake versions of proper epiphytes.
if that makes sense.

like sempervivums look nice and tropical, would they survive mounted on a branch?
You wont know until you try. icon_thumright The other thing I thought would look nice would be those long string of air plants that you see at RHS shows, but you would have to bring them in in the winter as they are not hardy. icon_salut
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

will giles book says to use those as bedding because they don't overwinter well.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mr List wrote:just wondering if anybody had tried mounting some hardy alpines to use as fake versions of proper epiphytes.
if that makes sense.

They do well in hanging baskets in the sun, but you could end up being too shady.
call

Post by call »

there are many epiphites that grow well in the UK

tilandsia usneoides (spanish moss) is uk hardy but the wind, rain and birds often make it fall out so best for a sheltered area.

tilandsia- aeranthos, bergeri, stricta ,tenuifolia= UK hardy
tilandsia- ionantha, Tillandsia schiedeana= possibly UK hardy worth a try!

bilbergia nutans, windii, and poss. pyramidalis
aechmea rucurvata, gamosepala, cylindrata
fascicularia bicolor, pitcairnifolia
ochagavia carnea, elegans
neoregelia carolinae?

many ferns will grow well as epiphites as will orchids and I have also seen sempervivum
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

good post call.

what are you going on saying they are UK hardy because many of those I have seen stated as not hardy?
call

Post by call »

Iv'e had a trawl around google and for what I can gather people have managed to grow them outside with little or minimal protection.

I have also seen fatsia, cordyline indivisa and musa basjoo stated as tender!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I've only seen fascicularia bicolor touted as just about hardy
and bilbergia nutans as just about, with luck, hardy.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

call wrote:there are many epiphites that grow well in the UK

tilandsia usneoides (spanish moss) is uk hardy but the wind, rain and birds often make it fall out so best for a sheltered area.

tilandsia- aeranthos, bergeri, stricta ,tenuifolia= UK hardy
tilandsia- ionantha, Tillandsia schiedeana= possibly UK hardy worth a try!

bilbergia nutans, windii, and poss. pyramidalis
aechmea rucurvata, gamosepala, cylindrata
fascicularia bicolor, pitcairnifolia
ochagavia carnea, elegans
neoregelia carolinae?

many ferns will grow well as epiphites as will orchids and I have also seen sempervivum
Thats a very optimistic list there Call! I wouldnt even recommend many of those broms as hardy for frosty regions in Australia, thinking they could be hardy in the UK just seems a bit too wishful to me...but you never know if you dont try I guess.

How many of these do people have actual experience with?
call

Post by call »

tilandsia usneoides and bilbergia nutans out of that list so far (but hope to try many more this year icon_thumleft )

I also have aechmea fasciata, vriesea splendens and an unknown tilandsia but they are indoors
I have lost a t. Victoria :(