Transplanting Chamaerops

Simba

Transplanting Chamaerops

Post by Simba »

Anyone any experience of transplanting a well established Chamaerops...?
I got a lovely one at the weekend that I had to dig myself, stands over 6ft tall planted, but I have been told they don't take kindly to being disturbed.

I have planted it into a raised bed, with gravel, perlite and fishblood....what are the odds of it being successful...?
ash101uk

Re: Transplanting Chamaerops

Post by ash101uk »

Remember the big one I got off ebay? Its still early days, but after its first winter in the ground and its still growing.

Your gonna have to post some pictures too.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Yeah of course Ash, you got a terrific one...what did you do to prepare for it, any special secrets to keep it growing..??

Dunno what it is with our cameras....all the colour is drained away and pix look rubbish..... icon_thumbdown
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

I didn't do anything special except add loads of gravel to the raised bed. I really should get some palm booster for the palm.

I did have wooden supports lent up against the palm for a few months after it was planted and during high winds to stop it blowing over / disturbing the roots.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I planted a medium sized(Amulree £45)one last summer from a pot.It was a cerifera,it went downhill very quickly,the main trunk died,but the offsets grew back fairly well.I think it will take a while to look as good as it did before i planted it out,but it has come through winter nicely,without any protection.I'm not absolutely certain but i think ,if i had watered it more after i planted it,it might have made a difference.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Excuse the quality, pic taken on my mobile....

It's a lovely big bushy chammy, exactly what I wanted to complete this area.... I just hope it settles in... :?