Large oil drum Jubaea?

karl66

Large oil drum Jubaea?

Post by karl66 »

Does anyone know of any for sale inside the uk?, i'm after another decent size one but dont want to risk a lot of money for a large field dug one which will probably never settle enough to sustain its size. karl.
Tom and Shell

Re: Large oil drum Jubaea?

Post by Tom and Shell »

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/.Jubaea-chilensis_JCH.htm

No pic of the biggy but could be worth a look :wink:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The Jubaea which came in oil drums were a single lot that were shipped to the UK several years back from a nursery in Chile. I suspect their entire stock was sold to several UK nurseries at that time, as I have not seen any, grown in oil drums, for sale since then...
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nathan, i've also looked about & can't see anyone who has them!, my 16 year old one has been planted out about 2 years now & is ticking over nicely although painfully slow, i'm thinking of double dosing it with palmbooster to try & grow& expand its roots further so it will take up more water. karl.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

karl66 wrote:Nathan, i've also looked about & can't see anyone who has them!, my 16 year old one has been planted out about 2 years now & is ticking over nicely although painfully slow, i'm thinking of double dosing it with palmbooster to try & grow& expand its roots further so it will take up more water. karl.
They are very slow growing anyway & any palm is going to take a couple of years from planting before it starts to take off. You will have to hope for a nice hot summer for it to start growing a bit faster...
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

even the oil drum palms are susceptible to cold damage Karl,ask Kev Spence,his beauty took a right battering going back a while and is slowly looking presentable again.
its a big risk in your area id have thought.as for expanding roots to take up more water? how wet is it in chile??
buying one with a good root system under it would surely benefit more from the pink slow release Nigel sells?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Darren, i think all feather palms are a risk!!, in my opinion my area would have a slight temp advantage over kev spence's garden as he's further north than me & the south/west aspect of my garden helps although it is a very windy garden!. My 15/16 year old jub is ticking over nicely at present but is painfully slow as expected. Its already got about 30cm of trunk & fattening out nicely its just that i'd like a bigger version if one can be obtained at the right price. The advantage with the oil drum ones must be the length/mass of the rootball!, I already use nigel's fertiliser but i've been so impressed with palmboosters result's that i'm convinced bigger root's taking in more water is more important for starters than trying to force cosmetic growth on the crown?. karl.