Can I drop Chicken Pellets into my D.A. Crowns?

GoggleboxUK

Can I drop Chicken Pellets into my D.A. Crowns?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wanting to give my Dicksonia antarctica some foliar feed but, as they currently have no roots, I was wondering if I could put a handful of chicken pellets inside the crowns?

I have, in the past, killed off some very small flower seedlings by putting pellets in a terracotta pot so thought I'd ask before I wreck the emerging fronds.

Alternatively, would I be better making a dilute solution from the pellets and watering that into the crowns?

Cheers for any help ;)
kata

Re: Can I drop Chicken Pellets into my D.A. Crowns?

Post by kata »

Might burn G,

Use a liquid watered down feed. I was wondering when we did feed them?

ROOOOOOOOOOOb.... :lol: :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

If you apply the normal rules for cuttings,(which your Dicksonia antarctica technically are ) then you shouldn't feed them until they have rooted . They will be fine this year with no feeding.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Cheers Kris, next year it is then.

;)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They take very little nutrients via the crown. I definitely wouldn't use any pellets other than maybe a few around the base. I would feed with a seaweed extract at half strength once or twice a month and this can be added to the crown altough after a few minutes I water again.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Kris,

Mine is but a babe so also next year for me.

Where do we buy seaweed Tom, thanks!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it !! :lol: Seriously, as mentioned a weak seaweed product, like Maxicrop, Vitax or my favourite : Empathy all purpose (by the Rootgrow people in collaboration with the RHS) watered in the crown and trunk will give it a boost. The new croziers will absorb the nutrients directly, they work great as a foliar feed icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Tom and Gary, much appreciated.

icon_salut
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Kata, you can get it from most large garden centres and is a dark rich brown liquid. you can use it on your other plants as well and it lasts ages.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Tom2006 wrote:Kata, you can get it from most large garden centres and is a dark rich brown liquid. you can use it on your other plants as well and it lasts ages.
True of Maxicrop and Vitax, but the Empathy one is a clear pale green, a bit like seaweed juice !! Smells nothing like the other two either but works great and lasts even longer ! :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I've not heard of that Gary, I will try to get some.
dino

Post by dino »

I always do what Akamba recommended and shove a bit of banana skin in about twice a year. It just rots down and feeds.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

dino wrote:I always do what Akamba recommended and shove a bit of banana skin in about twice a year. It just rots down and feeds.
I'll try that. How much skin?
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I put chicken pellets into the crown all the time and i`ve never had a problem. In fact i put pellets into the crowns of the two Dicksonia antarctica`s i bought from seagraves last year ( a 5 footer and a 6 footer) as soon as i planted them and within about 2 weeks they looked like this.............
Attachments
2012-09-02 19.39.33.jpg