Is this Phyllostachys Aurea Worth Persevering With?

Is this Bamboo a Hopeless Case?

No, it is an ex-bamboo, it has ceased to be.
10%
Yes, signs of life are a good thing.
90%

Total votes: 10

GoggleboxUK

Is this Phyllostachys Aurea Worth Persevering With?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I need your opinions on this Phyllostachys Aurea.

I planted it last year after failing to water it for a month during those 30c+ days in March and it has never recovered. It is in a raised bed and has been regularly watered and was fed with chicken pellets last Autumn. The soil it was planted in was taken from 3ft down after digging out the heatsink below the Temple and is well drained and good quality. The Fatsia, which was planted at the same time, has romped away and the Cordyline and Phormium in the other section of the bed are doing well also.

Although it looks like it's sponsored by Rice Krispies there are a few green leaves dotted about on mostly brown culms so I am wondering if it has been focussing its energy on the rhizome rather than the foliage?

Have you ever had a Boo come back from this kind of frazzle? Am I wasting my time with it?

Here is a pic of the P.Aurea that was planted in the ground at the same time on the opposite side. This one was less frazzled as it was in a shadier part of the garden during the build:

What would you do?
Last edited by GoggleboxUK on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr List

Re: Is this Phyllostachys Aurea Worth Persevering With?

Post by Mr List »

wait and see if it throws up some worth while culms this spring if not replace.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

It will appear....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Have had one or two like that & without a really close look its a hard call, most bamboo's are really hardy & can be chopped up like a peice of meat but starve them of water & they do take some coming back. I would cut back & wait......... karl.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Give it time, as Karl says really hardy, so a good chance it will recover. I think I'd wait a few months :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I was hoping to get out there and cut it back today but it hasn't stopped persizzling it down. I'll take the secateurs out there next week and give it a severe pruning and have a look to see if there are any new culms poking through.

;)
multim

Post by multim »

From experience, I would move it or divide it. I had one in a spot in the garden for some years and it did nothing. I moved it to another position, same deal. I then moved it for the last time and it looks good and is growing well. I've had no such issues with other Phyllostachys, just Aurea.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think It will one back to life.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

only cut back brown canes anything that looks alive will resprout new leaves

almost all the bamboos i bought looked like that when i got them, they soon green up and start shooting

this came back, and looks lovely now:

as did this with only 4 canes

which now looks like this 2 years later
DSC_8840.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wow, that looks great FF, great recovery and growth.

It looks like I'm getting a good few culms showing now so I'm going to give it a good dosing with seaweed extract and let it get on with it.

I'll post an update towards mid summer.

Thanks all for the comments and helpful advice.