Wild gorse?.

karl66

Wild gorse?.

Post by karl66 »

Not sure if I've got the name right but saw loads of these yellow bush/shrub plants in cornwall last wk, how hardy is this in the midlands?. karl.
allangreenbean

Re: Wild gorse?.

Post by allangreenbean »

They grow in Norfolk and Yorkshire so must be pretty hardy.

I think they are a native also.
pdid

Post by pdid »

They grow at least halfway up most of the mountains in the Lakes and the Dales as well so I think you'll be fine.

You do mean the spiky green bush type thing?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Almost certain it is the green bush your on about, it must just flower certain times, it has bright yellow flowers?, anyone have a pic to confirm. karl.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I would not plant that unless I lived on 100 acres and ran out of ideas :lol: ....
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

it looks great in wide open wild spaces,also looked good surrounding the golf course we stayed on last week but bejesus,you dont want to get too close too often.as much as i love seeing it in the wild,i wouldnt want it in my garden,having said that,i do keep trying with coletia paradoxa,that is seriously evil icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Think i'll give it a wide berth then!!. I've just been reading that seed's can stay dormant for 40 years then regrow :shock: karl.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Horrible prickly stuff, grows all over Snowdonia. Staying clear of it is a sensible idea.

;)
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Seek out the double flowered form as that doesn't set seed (still very prickly though!) lovely smell of Coconut from the flowers
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I can attest to the fact that they're pretty abundant here in Norfolk, especially on the sandy, acidic heathlands. Having fallen drunk into several bushes in the past I can also attest to the fact that they're really not very friendly. :lol:

It is native all the way up to the northern tip of the UK, according to wikipedia (Ulex europaeus).
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Horrible prickly stuff, grows all over Snowdonia. Staying clear of it is a sensible idea.

;)
Chance would be a fine thing, I live in Snowdonia. :roll: Keeps the burglars and any unwanted guests away though. icon_thumright
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

charliepridham wrote:Seek out the double flowered form as that doesn't set seed (still very prickly though!) lovely smell of Coconut from the flowers
Yes the smell of coconut is wonderful, I thought I was the only one who knew this :lol: Wouldn't have it in a garden though, messy and scrubby looking, best left in the countryside.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I've long known about the coconut smell, but don't like it icon_aaargh :twisted:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Conifers wrote:I've long known about the coconut smell, but don't like it icon_aaargh :twisted:
Not a fan of Bounty bars then Conifers? :roll: :lol:
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

hi,

yes they are native to british isles and grow everywhere thats sandy.they do make a excellent hedge/windbreak and the flowers are of a lovely scent.