return from chelsea

Mr List

return from chelsea

Post by Mr List »

when do nurseries return back to work after Chelsea?

eg crug farm
pdid

Re: return from chelsea

Post by pdid »

Tomorrow is the last day so I assume Sunday.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My college tutor, who allowed me to help with his display at the 1979 show, took back to his nursery all unsold stock after the Friday pm sell-off over the weekend and he was back to business on Monday to deal with the flood of orders and enquiries following his silver gilt award.
kata

Post by kata »

Great init,

They either get freebies or knock down prices on Saturday. Titchmarsh etc I mean.

:(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:They either get freebies or knock down prices on Saturday. Titchmarsh etc I mean.
Eh? When the bell goes anyone who is around (i.e. general public) gets knock down prices and freebies.

If one of Mr T's mates wants to give him a plant hows that different to us lot having a plant swap?

Or maybe I'm missing something?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

he has enough money to pay whatever anything costs anyway lol
kata

Post by kata »

I did'nt think public got any knock downs...my mistake
Steph

Post by Steph »

You may think you can get stuff cheaply at the end but a lot of it is past its best by then, forced to flower out of reality and you have to get the stuff home on public transport.
Plenty gets damaged and the spectacular show plants are not for sale, they go home with to their respective nurseries.
Bit of a con in my mind which the gullible succumb to.
robbie44

Post by robbie44 »

When I went a couple of years ago , prices on the sell off weren't cheap at all .Bought a few irises and peony roses from kellways.When they came back last year were absolutely amazing plants full of vigor and large flowers worth the money definitely
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Steph wrote:Bit of a con in my mind which the gullible succumb to.
Not been on the last day, so I don't know, but I have always assumed that you would have to stand by "Stand A" when the bell went, get what you wanted, and you would never have time to run to "Stand B" for anything else you wanted ... so I reckon its a marketing con too ...

I know someone who sponsored a Chelsea garden. The "mature" plants that came back to his garden didn't survive ... they had been so badly treated just to get them to & from the show ...

Although I expect that Hillier's massive trees & shrubs are treated better, and may well come back each year :) I liked the "vertical" Prunus Snow Goose and got excited about having one of those instead of Prunus amanagawa ... but looking at photos on Google I don't think it grows like an "exclamation mark" at all, so the ones they had on the stand have probably been trained / pruned to be like that ... perhaps just to fit into the magnificent display on their stand :)

There are plenty of "deals" to be had at Chelsea, enticements in order to fund the cost of the stand I expect! One company we chatted to said that they do no advertising, do not have a web site, etc. and only take orders at Chelsea. They then spend the other 11 months growing plants and not having to worry about marketing :) (I have exaggerated slightly, as I'm sure if you phoned up they would sell you what you were after:) but that was the essence of it)
robbie44

Post by robbie44 »

Sorry Kristin most stalls and show gardens sell off the plants well before the bell rings .So maybe a bit of a con , they give you a raffle ticket for the plant you have bought and you can only collect once the bell goes.So you choose what you want and return and pick up so you can buy lots of goodies
Dim

Post by Dim »

robbie44 wrote:Sorry Kristin most stalls and show gardens sell off the plants well before the bell rings .So maybe a bit of a con , they give you a raffle ticket for the plant you have bought and you can only collect once the bell goes.So you choose what you want and return and pick up so you can buy lots of goodies
raffle tickets? ... nah .... buy the same plants off ebay .... at a fraction of the cost, and ones that have not been fed steroids or drugs to look good during the duration of the show
Steph

Post by Steph »

I thought I was a bit jaded by it all, but it seems I am not the only one!
Did any one come back with a memento?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

robbie44 wrote:Sorry Kristin most stalls and show gardens sell off the plants well before the bell rings .So maybe a bit of a con , they give you a raffle ticket for the plant you have bought and you can only collect once the bell goes.So you choose what you want and return and pick up so you can buy lots of goodies
Useful to know (and makes sense :) ), thanks.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Steph wrote:Did any one come back with a memento?
Some ants made from recycled cans. 10 for £8 :)