Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
pdid

Re: Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Post by pdid »

I like the orange and black one too. I may have to order a few of them.

Garden is looking spot on!
kata

Post by kata »

Have you got them in a shady spot K?
I had them in a corner where they would be frost free all winter but since the good weather they have been in sun on the lawn. I am giving up on these now for this year.

I have the same kind in the sun at the front, they are also small buds and tall stems.

We'll see what happens but they are bound for the border come autumn.

What are yours sat on, looks like hay.

:mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Went out last night at 22:40 and did a brief tour

There's a 720p setting if you want to watch in HD and, for those with the glasses, there's also a 3D mode.:

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Love it G. First time ive saw inside your ruin, Wow it looks great lit up and the stone seating just looks perfect, i would sit there all night.. Your Armandii is looking good, mine is doing much better this year but no flowers, love your pond/water feature, the sound of water and the lighting just gives a different feel to the garden, i like my garden better at night (about 11pm at the min) when lit up and my small trickling water feature is on, its a totally different garden.. Your garden is Superb icon_thumleft I love it..
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Dee, it's definitely improving year by year but I am still a little impatient for things to grow. I love sitting out in the mornings because my shady corner is in full sun til about 10.30am and it's lovely and warm there without being too hot.

I can't wait for the palms in the centre to be big enough to walk under but that's probably a long way off yet.

In other news, my strangled Trachycarpus is starting to push out a new spear :) I had a feel inside the crown and I can now feel the very end of a spike. There's nothing to see yet because it's still about 2" below the surface but hopefully it will start to push out soon and be full sized and healthy.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great garden
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

3.0 minutes thats the money shot right there, looking out the temple window and the fatsia encroaching through! lovely :D

Running water sounds epic in a garden, need to get my shimmering steps waterfeature going, no outdoor electrics yet though :(
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Thanks Dee, it's definitely improving year by year but I am still a little impatient for things to grow. I love sitting out in the mornings because my shady corner is in full sun til about 10.30am and it's lovely and warm there without being too hot.

I can't wait for the palms in the centre to be big enough to walk under but that's probably a long way off yet.

In other news, my strangled Trachycarpus is starting to push out a new spear :) I had a feel inside the crown and I can now feel the very end of a spike. There's nothing to see yet because it's still about 2" below the surface but hopefully it will start to push out soon and be full sized and healthy.

good news on the Trachycarpus!

My 1 year sulker which has now come back to life *might* have been helped by me moving the stuck spears everynight from side to side, and fanning the unopened ones like a deck of cards, Its was like the two half exposed spears were totally stuck and the new stuff below was hitting the base of the stuck spears and the whole thing grinding to a halt.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Very good to see your garden in motion. So much interest in every space. The Temple and the whole feel of the garden screams "Tomb Raider"

The Alocasias look to be doing pretty good. How did they do over winter?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Cheers guys :)

Cordy, had another check of the spear earlier and it's definitely pushing out at some speed. I reckon it will easily be visible by Monday :)

Kris, I overwintered on the lounge (south facing) windowsill and kept them growing. They have both pushed out a new leaf after being repotted and those leaves are smaller as I expected given they are getting better light.

I've watered daily and fed with chicken pellets and all seems to be going very well.

Not sure whether the new pots will fit on the windowsill for next winter but if not they'll go indoors on the fllor. They seem to keep growing with an indoor minimum of 15c but I think they'd go dormant in the greenhouse and might be difficult to restart.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

tried to watch it twice but youtube is crappe these days. will try again later icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

G,

I said the front Lillies were in bud, big buds, this is how big the Orange maybe should have been.
fronttlily2013.jpg

Took pic best I could, it needed a really long cane to be honest and the flowers were also forced down by the rain.

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's gorgeous K, is that yours?
kata

Post by kata »

Yes, remember I said I had one in bud at the front of the house, this is it.

Day before it was buds, went out yesterday and it was in flower. Its Turkish like the Orange.
redlillie.jpg
Click

And the long view:
longview.jpg
Click

The flowers are way too heavy so next seaon an Oblisk to hold up the flowers.

Thanks G!!

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well, it's almost the end of summer and my garden is looking a bit scruffy. Everything seems to have just got a bit overgrown....