Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote::lol:

For telekinesis (which is actually moving things by the power of the mind so I think you meant telepathy) read Facebook ;)
I made your fingers move.

:lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote::lol:

For telekinesis (which is actually moving things by the power of the mind so I think you meant telepathy) read Facebook ;)
I made your fingers move.

:lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

WTF did I just read :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Some garden surpises:

With no protection this winter at all I've been l;eft with over 3ft of Basjoo stem. An even bigger surprise is that it's now pushing out a new roller! :shock:

My Tree Ferns still have full fronds from last year and new ones are on their way. Here's one that has jumped out of the crown already :shock:

My Acer Orange Dream is just a baby but it sure is eager! :shock:

It's amazing to see certain things being way ahead of time whilst others are doing nothing at all.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

They have done well
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi just looked at the last three pages and your garden has come along so well! You must be well chuffed :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

dorothy wrote:Hi just looked at the last three pages and your garden has come along so well! You must be well chuffed :D
Iam indeed, thanks Dorothy.

I'm hoping the mild, wet winter sets up some good growth again this year. I can't wait for everything to get tall so I can wander around beneath it all and start underplanting :)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

all the same stuff happening here icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I'd be well pleased if my stuff was that far forward in the middle of March this far south......(which it is :D )
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Its been a smashing winter Gogs, our plants are dancing for us lol. I wasn't sure about the 2 nanas i planted late last year surviving but they look similar to yours so, im hopefull now icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

hopefully the winters given the Dicksonia antarctica a energy boost.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This may be a strange way of telling when it's spring but whenever my solar powered lights stay on past sunset I know the days have started to get longer:

Summer is when they stay on til midnight.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My small Trachycarpus Fortunei, the one which was potted in that winter of 2010 and planted the following spring, the one that pushed out a couple of tiny leaves last summer and looked to be getting the strangles, the one I cutall the fronds off to try and get moving again, has finally spear pulled.

I've been checking it every few days and, now the overnight temps have picked up, it must have lefy dormancy and started to transpire leading to the growth point becoming damaged.

I've treated it with H2O2 and placed half a plastic pop bottle over it to keep it dry and warmer. I stuck a bungee cord around it to keep it in place and now it's just time (again!)

If iy doesn't push a couple of new spears out by September then I'll cut it out of the soil and plant a Naini Tal there instead.

On the positive side, my 22 baby R.Hystrix have both unrolled theor first fronds of 2014. They are still small enough to be putting out non-split leaves but I think this year they'll be ready for their fist 'proper' fronds to come through.

Swings & Roundabouts! :)
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

I like gardens where you can really get lost into another time period and place altogether - and that's the exact feeling from the video i saw a few pages back - well done.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

ConcreteJungle wrote:I like gardens where you can really get lost into another time period and place altogether - and that's the exact feeling from the video i saw a few pages back - well done.
Thanks CJ. Hopefully in 10 years time it will look even better with around 10 tall palms to add height, there should be a bit more room beneath by then to wander around in.