Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Mr List

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Feb 2011 to Jan 2013

Post by Mr List »

after these winters, yes :roll:

lovely garden, many parts I was thinking 'that's like my style too' icon_thumleft
don't know how you got the mossy saxifrage looking so lush, when ever I have tried to grow it the thing just seems to go brown in the middle , leggy and then dead.

ps
going to need some chit chat on the next vid to keep my attention, I found myself drifting off to the peaceful sounds of wind and birds a few times :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Nice vid, Del. Very touchy,feely :D Shows just how much you love your garden. :D

Wish I could keep my hostas as clean as yours, but then I do have water and the frogs' stomach are permanently full.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Ken, That saxifrage absolutely loves that spot, i have others dotted about that do ok but often turns brown like you mention. That was actually one tiny 9cm pot 3 years ago.

No point in me doing a running commentary I will just confuse everyone by getting plant names wrong, and I'm camera shy lol.

Greville, those hosta wont look like that for long if last year is anything to go by, I'm enjoying them whilst i can.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I would get the plant names mixed up as well Delboy :) Your garden is looking great, way ahead of mine, my hostas are through but no open leave's yet, i keep checking my borders for signs of life as there are too many spaces where i know i planted something there :? monsoon weather here today so stuck indoors..
Your Armandii looks amazing, is it in a pot? mines in a big pot on the decking but it struggles every year, i want it to look look yours :( Despite this Awfull weather and slow start to "spring" your garden is looking lush allready, arent plants amazing, esp the ones we grow, they try there hardest out of there natural enviroment, poor things :mrgreen:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks DeeDee, the armandii is in the ground, planted in shade behind a bamboo.
It has flowered once already this year, they didn't last long tho. With this one I think it's all about the leaves, they are actually much bigger than I was expecting.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

DeeDee if your pot is in full sun that may be the problem as I was told armandii needs shade.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Delboy wrote:DeeDee if your pot is in full sun that may be the problem as I was told armandii needs shade.
Sun in the afternoon Delboy, maybe thats the problem then, there were new shoots yesterday so im keeping my fingers crossed, they are evergreen tho, but not up here as it seems :D
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine had a few flower buds fried but other than that it's been fine.
It's a well protected spot mind, where I planted it would get very little light tbh. I then pointed it in the direction I wanted it to go and there's been no holding it back.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Deedee wrote:I would get the plant names mixed up as well Delboy
that never stopped me :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Mr List wrote:
Deedee wrote:I would get the plant names mixed up as well Delboy
that never stopped me :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
tropicalwon

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Spring garden video 17-5-13

Post by tropicalwon »

Great vid. Delboy icon_thumleft

You have a nice collection of exotics, which look in peak condition icon_salut I do like the C.armandii as well... might have to get one....very nice

icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looking really good. Like others have said, the hostas look great and well ahead of mine.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I took my uncles advice this year and once they were poking through the soil I watered them with miracle grow.
May be coincidence, but they did seem to get a shift on after that.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Delboy, what a lovely garden you have and the video shows so much more than a foto will. It looks untouched by winter.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Nick wrote:Hi Delboy, what a lovely garden you have
Seconded.......... icon_thumleft

Looks absolutely A1