Dave B's Blog - Winter here we come :-o

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Delboy

Re: Dave B's Blog - Spring at last :)

Post by Delboy »

flounder wrote:Wow, looks like you're starting to get the hang of this tropical lark icon_thumright
Not too bad is he :lol:

Those are impressive Dave icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Mr List wrote:I so wish I had the talent to grow these plants :(
Me too. Mine are pathetic by comparison.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Well, I do have at least a couple of small leaves open on my reduced collection :shock: Need to tap in on some of your inspiration, Dave icon_salut
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flounder wrote:Wow, looks like you're starting to get the hang of this tropical lark icon_thumright
The aroid bench may look good, but it hides the fact that I've lost almost 50% in the continued sunless, cold we had from November right up to second week of April.

Many have become dormant and may recover once 'summer proper' arrives, but the garden won't be full to brimming with aroids this year, like it was last. :|

I had loads of seed to sow, but with the continuing cold they just stayed in the packs. To be honest I had to decide if I wanted to give the heated space to seedlings, or to forcing existing plants back into growth. Existing plants won out.

Last night Aidan set the Chiminea going and we were outside in the freezing cold until 11pm. It was pushing it a bit expecting to feel toasty in 7C, but was pleasant enough with a fleece on :wink:
Attachments
2013-04-29-20-14-02 Chiminea roaring.jpg
2013-04-29-20-58-06 Palmy twilight.jpg
2013-04-29-20-58-22 toasty Chimmi.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by RogerBacardy »

Nice one, that's something I'm aspiring to. To have palms that break the skyline, so you can admire their silhouettes at dusk. :)

At the moment I can only see mine at night with the uplighters on. Actually, how come you didn't seem to have your LEDs switched on in those evening pics?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

What are you burning and does it chuck out much heat and smoke?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

ive got a big tall gas patio heater, you can sit outside in the snow and still be warm, well the half that faces the heater can be warm :lol:

EDIT: though a chimnea is clearly more fun!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

RogerBacardy wrote:Nice one, that's something I'm aspiring to. To have palms that break the skyline, so you can admire their silhouettes at dusk. :)

At the moment I can only see mine at night with the uplighters on. Actually, how come you didn't seem to have your LEDs switched on in those evening pics?
I haven't set them up yet for this year, and not sure it will work with Trunky_Trachycarpus as about 18ft tall, and the leaves are green. Chamaerops 'Argentea' is far better as only 8ft tall and silver undersides of the leaves reflects the colours better. :wink:
Tom2006 wrote:What are you burning and does it chuck out much heat and smoke?
I used just charcoal briquettes with firelighter gel on Sunday, and it took an age to give out any warmth, so Aidan went out and bought instant lighting 1Kg bags of lump wood to get it going quickly with the briquettes and juniper wood from the garden. The second day it was much hotter. We've also bought some super heat 'Blaze' solid smokeless fuel but not tried it yet.

There was a bit of smoke while starting, but once going burns more like a rocket stove. Obviously smokeless fuel should be smokeless. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
The aroid bench may look good, but it hides the fact that I've lost almost 50% in the continued sunless, cold we had from November right up to second week of April.

Many have become dormant and may recover once 'summer proper' arrives, but the garden won't be full to brimming with aroids this year, like it was last. :|

I had loads of seed to sow, but with the continuing cold they just stayed in the packs. To be honest I had to decide if I wanted to give the heated space to seedlings, or to forcing existing plants back into growth. Existing plants won out.

Last night Aidan set the Chiminea going and we were outside in the freezing cold until 11pm. It was pushing it a bit expecting to feel toasty in 7C, but was pleasant enough with a fleece on :wink:

Palm lined skyline! i'd never tire of that sunset drunken_smilie1 , that looks a decent Chiminea with the grill to stop any decking tarnish from coals falling out, mine doesnt have any guard on it.

Was this one of the aroids that didnt make it? from OP it was instant monster look

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/d ... =32339&t=1
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:I used just charcoal briquettes with firelighter gel on Sunday, and it took an age to give out any warmth
Dunno if relevant, and you may have come across them?, but there are "cannisters" you can get which you light your charcoal in, and they form a chimney effect to get it burning quickly. The ones I have seen are like a big coffee mug, so once lit you can pour the burning charcoal into the BBQ / fire pit. Takes less than 10 minutes to get the briquettes burning briskly

http://www.keengardener.co.uk/weber-acc ... arter.html

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:Palm lined skyline! i'd never tire of that sunset drunken_smilie1 , that looks a decent Chiminea with the grill to stop any decking tarnish from coals falling out, mine doesnt have any guard on it.

Was this one of the aroids that didnt make it? from OP it was instant monster look

Don't be silly Cordy :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: That's my Alocasia x calidora. It's grown 2 leaves this spring :wink:

Tested out the new office today :wink: There was a keen and strengthening ENE wind this afternoon but couldn't feel a breath of it icon_thumright
2013-04-30-14-46-28 New Office.jpg
Then, come evening, it converts to the BBQ/Chiminea area :lol: It was very cold and almost down to 8C before we started, ended up at 5C
2013-04-30-21-26-28 New BBQ area.jpg
Then the uplit Chammy tonight icon_thumright
2013-04-30-21-25-28 Colourful Chammy.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Thanks for letting us join you, Dave. :wink:

I think it was much warmer where we were sitting :lol:
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Thanks for posting the LED pics! :D
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Out of interest Dave how's your Colocasia 'Sangria' getting on?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:Palm lined skyline! i'd never tire of that sunset drunken_smilie1 , that looks a decent Chiminea with the grill to stop any decking tarnish from coals falling out, mine doesnt have any guard on it.

Don't be silly Cordy :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: That's my Alocasia x calidora. It's grown 2 leaves this spring :wink:

Tested out the new office today :wink: There was a keen and strengthening ENE wind this afternoon but couldn't feel a breath of it icon_thumright
2013-04-30-14-46-28 New Office.jpg
Then, come evening, it converts to the BBQ/Chiminea area :lol: It was very cold and almost down to 8C before we started, ended up at 5C
2013-04-30-21-26-28 New BBQ area.jpg
Then the uplit Chammy tonight icon_thumright
2013-04-30-21-25-28 Colourful Chammy.jpg

Its another world to me all these Alocasia, colcasia, aroids etc all a foreign language to me, but i'm slowly learning :lol: When I first joined this forum I didnt know what a Trachycarpus, t-rex, chammy, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Dicksonia antarctica etc was :oops: :lol: