Dee's Garden Rebuild from Winter Damage Blog.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Simba

Re: Garden Rebuild from Winter Damage!

Post by Simba »

GoggleboxUK wrote: Have you been reading the forum with your eyes closed again?

:lol:
Don't laugh at me, just tell me where the blimmin' thing is..... :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Keep your shirt on! I was finding it for you.

:lol:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... ual+design
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

taylores clemetis have Clematis, Sieboldiana down as prune hard ,group 3 just incase you didn't know.

grapes have deep roots from what i read.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

dee love it :D

eerily identical pergola to the photoshop too!

how much did it cost? premade pack or did you make yourself from wood?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Deedee wrote:Awww cheers simba :oops: :mrgreen:

Delboy, All Thanks to you.. Ill go and put a couple of pics on the photoshop thread, i think thats appropiate :D

No worries Deedee glad i could help. I think it looks the bees knees.

I have today had the green light off her indoors to build one off the back of the house, 15ft x 10ft or a bit bigger if possible.
I want to make our patio under shade as there is just no escaping the sun and as much as i love it in the garden im hopeless sitting in it. I will hopefully get it covered in screening and grow stuff up so its somewhere nice to sit and relax.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hiyah, just came in from work.. Thanks for all your comments.
TrudyT, ill hold you to that :mrgreen: I think we are due some sunshine, its our turn :D
Mr List, Yeah i know about the clematis, ive had loads of advice from another forum and ive done my homework lol The grape is going into the border, so no problem there, thanks for that, i didn't know icon_thumleft

Cordy, The Timber came to about £89 and the drill borer thing was £12 to hire, so around £100...Ive seen them on ebay for about the same price but im not sure if they delivered or pickup only, our posts are thicker but the premade are already drilled and the fancy ends cut, well worth it i think..

Delboy, Thats brilliant icon_thumleft If your owt like hub you will have drawn the plans by now, i know you have one already and you will understand when i say, its like walking into a room, i absolutley love it, I can't wait untill its all planted up and dripping with plants :D

One day it might look like this 8)

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Simba, Gogs :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

A bit of advice needed on my Trachycarpus please...

The shape of it, what do you think? the frond on the right, near the sticky out fence is tatty looking so ill cut it off, would you cut the lower fronds off or leave them, there's about 6 new spears to open (ooh err) so if i cut the bottom fronds off will it look top heavy. what do you think?

Further back..

Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Deedee, that palm looks lovely as it is, 8)
personally I'd leave the lower fronds on for a good while yet, it's a fine healthy looking specimen in my opinion.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I completely agree with Nigel, thats a terrific looking Trachycarpus that you have there, leave it be.
If anything, I'd be tempted to remove that screen on the righthand side, to give the Trachycarpus a bit more space..... icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i'm always one to leave this to nature as much as possible so i wouldn't cut it up.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks Nigel, ill just cut the tatty frond off then, i love this Trachycarpus, the first time i left it unprotected was the winter of 2010/11 and it sailed through :shock:

Funny you should say that simba, i was thinking of moving the fence, It was originally there to hide the dog cra* bin and compost bins etc, the dogs not here now so i thought if i move the fence the Trachycarpus would help disguise the bins, also, there are flags there and i could move them and have more planting space icon_cheers . ill see what hub thinks :mrgreen:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks Mr List, When i look at the pics, i can see its a nice shape so its staying like that..
Simba

Post by Simba »

Deedee wrote:It was originally there to hide the dog cra* bin
It's a no brainer then....palm tree or dog loads of shallots.... :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I wouldn't prune that palm till its a lot taller.

Cracking specimen though! Where's it from and how old?