My garden history!

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
shanks

Re: My garden history!

Post by shanks »

looks fantastic
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Springy wrote:Thanks Andy! I just hope I get the Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) through this winter, to give it the best start for the growing season. It grew quite a few new leaves last year.

Kris, even though I have moved the brugmansia into the house it is still dying back. I'm not going to cut it back for a while and then see if it stops on it's own. If it gets to the main stem, I will cut back to healthy stem and then dust with a fungicide.

I have purchased 3 small yucca rostrata. They are only about a foot or so tall. I just wondered wether to plant them in a group of 3 spaced together or dot them singularly around the garden. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would look more effective? Any thoughts would be gratefully received, especially if accompanied by pictures!! icon_thumleft
Thankyou!
Steve.... Yucca Rostrata does not like winter cold and wet. Starting them off small is probably the best chance of success. Even so I would cover them from excess water. They would look good a few feet apart. This Yucca is not so forgiving as Linearifolia. icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

Springy wrote:I have purchased 3 small yucca rostrata. They are only about a foot or so tall. I just wondered wether to plant them in a group of 3 spaced together or dot them singularly around the garden
Personally, I think they would look best in a cluster. That is what I have tried to do with my Yucca bed..

Yucca Thompsoniana
Ste

Post by Ste »

Kev, how's your yucca doing since it flowered? Mine flowered during the summer and has done nothing since. Ive cut the flower stalk off as close as I can leaving maybe an inch or so where I couldn't get to. Does this have to die off which will leave a hole then new leaves will emerge from the hole? Im sure someone told me that once they flower, they look pretty cr@p and do nothing for 2 or 3 years.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I dont want to hi-jack Springy's thread so I will reply with some pix on my own blog Ste... icon_thumright
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thankyou for the advice. I purchased 3 with the intention of planting in a group and I now think that is what I'd prefer to do. Would 18" apart be ok??!!

I have had a busy week or so. I am trying to tart up the front garden a bit and will post a few pictures soon to show progress. I would like some advice on plants to put in the border as it is NORTH facing and thus will be shaded by the house.

I (AT LAST) had my presentation evening for the Abingdon in Bloom competition which was supposed to have been at the end of October 2011. The cup is nice and will spur me on to try and win again next year!

I am posting some pics of the garden in the recent snow and showing the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that I have wrapped just for the week as the temps have dropped below -8. the covers willcome off tomorrow as it is warming up a bit. icon_cheers
Attachments
DSCN0615.jpg
DSCN0615.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
DSCN0617.jpg
DSCN0617.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
DSCN0620.jpg
DSCN0620.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
DSCN0622.jpg
DSCN0622.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
DSCN0623.jpg
DSCN0623.jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
DSCN0515.jpg
DSCN0515.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
DSCN0516.jpg
DSCN0516.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Fingers crossed for the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. :)
Simba

Post by Simba »

Y'know what...?

Looking back over your blog, I'd say this is possibly one of the best transformations that we have seen on HTUK.... icon_thumleft
Springy

Post by Springy »

Simba wrote:Y'know what...?

Looking back over your blog, I'd say this is possibly one of the best transformations that we have seen on HTUK.... icon_thumleft
Thanks Simba!! That is high praise indeed, I couldn't possibly agree :oops: Oh alright then!!! :lol:

P.s your cheque is in the post!! icon_thumright
Springy

Post by Springy »

I had a bit of a wander in the garden this afternoon to check for any winter damage on my plants. I think I got a bit complacent with expecting some things to get through without any protection. My Cycad has had no protection at all except from being planted close to the house. I think the snow damaged the leaves.

The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was wrapped but still got some damage on the tips of the leaves but the centre looks green and healthy still so fingers crossed. It dropped to -8.5 in the worst of the weather!

My Brahea edulis looks in a poor way and I really should have covered it as its only a small plant still.

The new growth on my Cordyline also looks like its taken a battering so I could loose some of the stems on this too.

I have learned a big lesson this winter and I will endevour to over protect in future rather than lose things.
Overall though, things are looking pretty promising! icon_cheers
Attachments
DSCN0698.jpg
DSCN0698.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
DSCN0705.jpg
DSCN0705.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
DSCN0706.jpg
DSCN0706.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
DSCN0703.jpg
DSCN0703.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
DSCN0702.jpg
DSCN0702.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Fingers croosed springy..........but some do look poorly.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks Coddy. Even if I do lose these, my losses at the moment aren't too great. Even my Bruggy is coming back to life now its in the house. I will probably take a few cuttings from it just to get its shape back.
I was worried about it rotting completely!
Attachments
DSCN0534.jpg
DSCN0534.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
DSCN0535.jpg
DSCN0535.jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
DSCN0707.jpg
DSCN0707.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
DSCN0710.jpg
DSCN0710.jpg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
DSCN0711.jpg
DSCN0711.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have had Revolutas looking like that.
Don't give up on it, one good flush and it will be as good as new.... icon_thumleft
Springy

Post by Springy »

Simba wrote:I have had Revolutas looking like that.
Don't give up on it, one good flush and it will be as good as new.... icon_thumleft
No I won't give up on it Simba but I think that I will need to move it this year though. If it gets as big as Dave Browns I won't be able to get out of the back door! I guess that I will have to do this before it starts pushing out a new flush of leaves but I also don't want to check it's growth. Any ideas on when it would be the best time?!
Springy

Post by Springy »

I'm continuing this with an update! icon_cheers
I am entering the gardening competition again this year to try my luck again!
I have got a feeling that its going to be a lot harder this year with a hosepipe ban in place here so I'll just have to see how it goes! Lots to do and loads done already! Unwrapped plants, sown and potted on seedlings, top dressed the lawn etc etc.

I have posted a few photos to show things at the begining of this season.......Wish me luck peeps!!!!

( I might have to change the title to a blog now!)
Attachments
Entry form 2012
Entry form 2012
DSCN0999.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Spiked and top dressed the lawn!
Spiked and top dressed the lawn!
DSCN0878.jpg (57.41 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
DSCN0880.jpg
DSCN0880.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
unwrapped Gingers, cannas, dahlias and bananas etc. Gingers showing good growth!
unwrapped Gingers, cannas, dahlias and bananas etc. Gingers showing good growth!
DSCN1050.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
I have got a helper this year though!
I have got a helper this year though!
DSCN0903.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Just some of the plants to put in!
Just some of the plants to put in!
DSCN1106.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Some of the garden this morning! LOADS to do!!!!
Some of the garden this morning! LOADS to do!!!!
DSCN1112.jpg (65.04 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
DSCN1115.jpg
DSCN1115.jpg (60.65 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
DSCN1121.jpg
DSCN1121.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
DSCN1118.jpg
DSCN1118.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 2159 times