My garden history!

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
redsquirrel

Re: My garden history!

Post by redsquirrel »

looking good as always mate,im trying to tidy mine up a bit,this year im getting shot of the damaged plants,cant be dealing with waiting years for palms to recover.seriously thinking about binning the big wheeleri too,fed up of getting torn to shreds walking past it.going to stick with yuccas i think,and the pinus,they always look so cool
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Good luck Springy icon_thumleft loads to do, but what a joy in this weather, you'll have that knocked into shape in no time and it will be looking even better than last year. Show us some more pictures when its ready for judging :D
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks! icon_cheers

Last year the judging for the competition was quite late in the season because they were running behind schedule so things had filled out really well. If they do it on time this year and with the hose pipe ban, things could be a lot different.
I'm happy that I managed to get my brugmansias through the winter without loosing too much height on them and some are budding up with flowers already. They hadn't flowered at all when the judging took place last year. Even the variegated one made it through. I have got a couple of Ensete to plant out too, one of them given was given to me by Andy Martin. (Thanks Andy!)
shanks

Post by shanks »

looks great, good luck with the competition
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

looking like some good preparation, bet its massive job satisfaction ticking each job off the list icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Bit late here but congrats on the Trophy Springy ;)

Your garden is coming along at at breakneck speed, you must be part cyborg! Brilliant work, keep it up and keep those pics coming.

;)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Good luck this year with the competition. icon_thumleft
Springy

Post by Springy »

I was hoping to post some nearly finished (for the moment) photos of the garden tonight. I have been planning, planting and tidying today and I have still only planted half of all that I have overwintered and also grown from seed this year! I normally plan my planting scheme as I am watering with the hose and just take my time. Due to our hosepipe ban here I just don't get the same opportunity to do this so this year I'm doing it very much off the hoof!
Everything I plant gets a dose of blood, fish and bone, farmyard manure and for permanent planting, a measure or two of rootgrow. Then a good watering. This all takes time but it's worth doing as I believe it really makes a difference.
I have spent at least 12 hours in the garden over the last couple of days so hopefully things will turn out ok in the end and all the work will be worth it!
When I went to the trophy night this year and I was talking to the mayor's wife about my garden she was saying how some entrants to the competition just pop to B&Q etc a month or so before judging to buy their plants!
I explained about how I grow my own plants from seed every spring and also about all the winter wrapping etc that I have to do and that gardening is a 365 days a year hobby for me, not just a couple of months!

I'll post some more pics when I've planted everything to give a comparison for later in the year.

I'd still do it with or without the competition but the extra pressure it causes will hopefully be worth it! :(
Springy

Post by Springy »

Well the garden competition has now been cancelled due to lack of entrants so at least I don't need to worry about that now.
Things don't seem to be growing so well this year and I'm still waiting for some plants to catch up with everything else eg. the ricins! Hopefully this spell of warm weather that has been forcast recently will give all the slow plants a boost!

I have been given a load of tanalised wood from a builder friend of mine and decided to put it to use as a deck area. It will hopefully become a much needed shady area eventually. I just need to get it planted up now so a few trips to Nigel might be in order!! I have constructed it in the area that used to be where I grew vegetables. I used to give away more that I ate myself and so the draw of using it for more "exotic" planting became too much and it had to go!
The deck is only 8ft in diameter so its not massive but it is big enough for me to chill in the shade there whilst my partner worships the sun.
Attachments
DSCN1619.jpg
DSCN1619.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
DSCN1622.jpg
DSCN1622.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
DSCN1626.jpg
DSCN1626.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
DSCN1628.jpg
DSCN1628.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
DSCN1659.jpg
DSCN1659.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
View of garden from Deck
View of garden from Deck
DSCN1660.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Springy

Post by Springy »

And an update on the plants that looked a bit rough after the winter. All of them have come through ok. The Brahea edulis that looked dead has been potted and has just started a new flush of leaves. The cordyline and Pheonix made it through with a few damaged leaves but the centres are growing nicely!
The cycad has been potted and is pushing out a new set of leaves (I cut off the damaged ones today to tidy it up) and the brugmansia is in flower. icon_cheers
Attachments
DSCN1643.jpg
DSCN1643.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
DSCN1644.jpg
DSCN1644.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
DSCN1647.jpg
DSCN1647.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice! I like the wooden seating area Springy, all you need is a chair with 360 degree rotation and you've got a superb viewing platform for your garden.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Well, its time to post an update of the garden. We had a family BBQ on Sunday and the garden was looking at its best so far this year. I'm still a little disappointed in how its turned out at this stage but my heart wasn't really into it this year. I know the growing season isn't over yet so there still may be a little more progress. When you consider that some of my dahlias are taller than my ricins, you know things aren't at their best! :cry:
Attachments
DSCN1748.jpg
DSCN1748.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1750.jpg
DSCN1750.jpg (48.1 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1751.jpg
DSCN1751.jpg (54.71 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1753.jpg
DSCN1753.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1755.jpg
DSCN1755.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1756.jpg
DSCN1756.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1765.jpg
DSCN1765.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1767.jpg
DSCN1767.jpg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1771.jpg
DSCN1771.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
DSCN1772.jpg
DSCN1772.jpg (63.87 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Springy

Post by Springy »

A couple more for the moment!
Attachments
DSCN1790.jpg
DSCN1790.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
DSCN1792.jpg
DSCN1792.jpg (56.6 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Looking fantastic! ;)

The warm, wet summer has cerainly worked wonders on your garden Springy, it's looking very lush and naturally jungly
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Hi Springy,

Super garden icon_thumleft

The new deck area looks great and blends well with the curves of the borders.
The pond itself sits right in!
Love the view from roof

Great stuff ...Hard work pays in the end

Gray icon_salut