Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (July 12)

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Simba wrote:You have already got yourself an enviable collection of plants there Phil, but if you don't mind me making a suggestion, this area would look great filled with a nice bamboo.... icon_thumright
I agree.

If you want to help yourself to half a pot of Phyllostacys Aurea then feel free to come and take some of mine. Just bring a sharp spade and about 20L of compost because I'm out of it at the moment. I've got a couple of 40L pots that haven't been planted out yet, they are about 7ft above the pot and just starting to throw out some good foliage on new culms.

;)
pdid

Post by pdid »

Cheers, here is a close up pic of the area mentioned:
PicsArt_1341816436415.jpg
There is a small phyllostachys bissettii in the corner, hopefully I'll get a few bigger canes later this year.

Great minds ehh :-)

Thanks for the offer Rick, I might take you up on it at a later date if you still want rid icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

why don't you grow some climbers up the kids frame and it can be their new 'jungle hut adventure' icon_thumright :lol:
pdid

Post by pdid »

Tom2006 wrote:Do you move the kids frame?....we have a ten foot trampoline and its a real trouble having to move it all the time to try and prevent it from killing the grass underneath the supports.
Cheers Tom, the frame stays where is is as its the only place it can go, the grass has died under the slide but I'll just reseed when it goes.

Ken it will stay naked as I don't want it to rot too quickly. I may paint it black though.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I recently picked up a new phone which has an ok camera built into it. I thought i`d give the macro setting a try and here are the results.
Agapanthus ready to pop
Agapanthus ready to pop
Ensete
Ensete
Canna Cleopatra
Canna Cleopatra
Schefflera Rhododendrifolia
Schefflera Rhododendrifolia
Cyathea Medularis
Cyathea Medularis
Crocosmia
Crocosmia
Yucca Linearis
Yucca Linearis
Canna indica
Canna indica
Schefflera Taiwaniana
Schefflera Taiwaniana
Cordyline indivisia
Cordyline indivisia
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

the scheffyrhodie does seem to grow a bit different to other schefflera don't it.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice pics from a phone there Phil

;)
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:the scheffyrhodie does seem to grow a bit different to other schefflera don't it.
I`ve only got the rhodie and taiwaniana to compare and tbh they are fairly similar in growth habit, all of my fatsia grow in a similar way too. Same genus/ species/ i`m sure someone will correct me shortly :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Good pics from a phone, especially the Schefflera Taiwaniana.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

pdid wrote:
Mr List wrote:the scheffyrhodie does seem to grow a bit different to other schefflera don't it.
I`ve only got the rhodie and taiwaniana to compare and tbh they are fairly similar in growth habit, all of my fatsia grow in a similar way too. Same genus/ species/ i`m sure someone will correct me shortly :D
all my other Araliaceae seem to grow with the leaves/leaflets cupped upwards, this one has them all swiped downwards.
pdid

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (August UD)

Post by pdid »

A few pics from today, everything apart from my heuchera`s and coleus growing nicely :D
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
p4.jpg
p5.jpg
p6.jpg
p7.jpg
pdid

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (August UD)

Post by pdid »

And just a few on some specific plants:

This was my ensete 'Montbeliardii' back in June when I first received it. 3 year old for scale!
minimonty.jpg
And today at just under 7ft tall!
monty.jpg
Cleopatra coming into bloom.
cleopatra.jpg
It doesn`t look it in the pic but this echium is around 5ft wide from seed sown in March
echium.jpg
I don`t hear much about this bamboo, as you can see the new culms are a lovely blush pink which fad to gold as the mature. Phyllostachys Aurea Holochrysa
holochrysa.jpg
Polycarpa getting bigger now in the ground
polycarpa.jpg
Schefflera Taiwaniana flushing
scheff.jpg
My most disappointing plant of the season, I was expecting big things in it`s second year (1st in the ground) but it`s crappe.
trex.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (August UpDate)

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Your garden is looking mint Phil, some superb growth this year and your new additions are doing really well.

What's the problem with your Heuchera though? All mine are doing great. Have you only just put them in or are they last seasons?
pdid

Post by pdid »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Your garden is looking mint Phil, some superb growth this year and your new additions are doing really well.

What's the problem with your Heuchera though? All mine are doing great. Have you only just put them in or are they last seasons?
Cheers, I`m not sure on the Heuchera, They are in their 2nd year and looked good earlier in the year but seem to have gone over. They were moved forward when I re-edged the lawn so maybe I didn`t do enough prep work before the move. Two of them are in an area where drainage isn`t great which is what has done for the coleus (it`s usually dry in normal Summer`s but it`s been a wet one)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The echium have done well, i thought they were 2yr olds tbh icon_salut

Crackin' pics icon_thumleft icon_salut