Stephen's blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
stephenprudence

Stephen's blog

Post by stephenprudence »

Don't worry folks this is being moved to the blogs forum.
stephenprudence

Re: Stephen's blog

Update: 22/10/2012 - The completion of the border and preparation for winter

I have now completed the middle part of the exotic climbers area in the driveway. The plants have been chosen for their scent, Jasmine and Jasmine like plants are a must, I just love the scent of the plants.

It will be interesting to see how the upcoming cold spell affects the plants in the border. It is frost free, and doesn't go below 0C very often. Usually around 0C to 1C in a normal winter. In 2010 it went down to -3C on the coldest record night in December.. so it has a chance. Perhaps the bedding was planted a little late, but we will see how it manages.

The garden in general is looking pretty tatty at the moment, Autumn (and an early one at that), has made sure the garden looks it's worst. I can't wait for the bedding to die off, but I'd rather let it due naturally from cold/frost.. that should happen this weekend! The bedding is masking the shape of the garden and so need to know what needs removing etc.

I've moved most of the potted tender plants indoors now, they look good except the lemon which has developed yellowing leaves.. probably due to the lack of nitrogen.

Talking of yellow leaves, the Cordyline has also developed yellowing leaves.. a normal part of the leaf growth cycle I would have thought, except it's turned overnight. I'm not sure of the cause, so I'll have to keep an eye on it overnight.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Looks like winter is starting on Saturday just when we are coming up to the Wirral for a few days!!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

You've put me to shame, Stephen. I've done nothing constructive in the garden since moving some potted big leaves into the greenhouse three weeks ago to avoid being ripped to shreds by high winds. As these are all earmarked for overwintering at my local school, they need to be in pristine condition when I take them after half-term.

I wouldn't worry about the yellowing Cordyline leaves. Mine turn very quickly, too. If newest leaves are yellowiing, then panic :shock:
stephenprudence

Yes Clive, be prepared for frosty mornings and cold afternoons with a biting breeze! Where in Wirral will you be going?

G, It's the bottom leaves.. the top looks very healthy!
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Oxton, visiting o/h's elderly aunt., we are planningt o go to Sefton Park, Ness and Martinmere bird reserve.
stephenprudence

Sefton Park/Palm house is excellent I think, the atmopshere inside is wonderful.. Victorian style architecture creates a wonderful ambience.

As for Ness it may well be a little covered up! They are likely to cover some plants up for the cold spell.. including tree ferns, and some terrace plants.

If you go to Ness, you may as well take a route through heswall, its on the way! (just get on the A552 from Oxton, then onto the A540 to get to Ness)
dino

Post by dino »

Yeah, Sefton's great but haven't been to Ness.
stephenprudence

Next year I'm looking forward to creating the long awaited tropical border. So yes, I live in a decent climate for the UK, but it's not really enough to trial with real tropical species. My idea is based on tropical shade tolerant species. Since most tropical/sub-tropical species will be fairly happy down to around 0C, this should be ok.

As it stands, the long side border (which is still outdoors and subject to the British elements), will consist of, climbers, which I have already told of; Jasmines, Rhodochiton, and other climbers, yet to be decided or agreed on.

The bedding plants themselves will include Crassula ovata, Schlumbergera, Chlorophytum, Spathiphyllum, Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, Chamaedorea elegans, Vriesea splendens, and hopefully some more.. I was thinking of trying a Dracaena marginata.. but that may be pushing it a little..

Anyhow I'm very excited to have a border with these plants in, that will be grown outside and have a chance of surviving.. I would never have thought it possible! icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Ive decided to add Justicia rizzinii to the list of plants I want in that border.. I already have the plant so it'll just be a matter of planting it in Spring. However I don't expect flowers this year. Also if I can source it fairly inexpensive, then also I will try to buy a Lapageria rosea.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

stephenprudence wrote:Next year I'm looking forward to creating the long awaited tropical border. So yes, I live in a decent climate for the UK, but it's not really enough to trial with real tropical species. My idea is based on tropical shade tolerant species. Since most tropical/sub-tropical species will be fairly happy down to around 0C, this should be ok.

As it stands, the long side border (which is still outdoors and subject to the British elements), will consist of, climbers, which I have already told of; Jasmines, Rhodochiton, and other climbers, yet to be decided or agreed on.

The bedding plants themselves will include Crassula ovata, Schlumbergera, Chlorophytum, Spathiphyllum, Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, Chamaedorea elegans, Vriesea splendens, and hopefully some more.. I was thinking of trying a Dracaena marginata.. but that may be pushing it a little..

Anyhow I'm very excited to have a border with these plants in, that will be grown outside and have a chance of surviving.. I would never have thought it possible! icon_thumleft

Any update on these plans Stephen?
stephenprudence

Yes.. this year I haven't managed to get as many plants, however I have managed to see some rapid growth in Justicia rizzini, also Schefflera arboricola doing very well. I recently had an easter cactus flower, so that's quite cool! Jasmine is growing, passionflower is growing. I never got the Rhodochiton to take unfortunately.

Tomorrow I will take a photo of the border.

Kalanchoe is growing huge leaves. :shock:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Want to see that Kalanchoe, Stephen. I have a number of these, all potted.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

stephenprudence wrote:Yes.. this year I haven't managed to get as many plants, however I have managed to see some rapid growth in Justicia rizzini, also Schefflera arboricola doing very well. I recently had an easter cactus flower, so that's quite cool! Jasmine is growing, passionflower is growing. I never got the Rhodochiton to take unfortunately.

Tomorrow I will take a photo of the border.

Kalanchoe is growing huge leaves. :shock:

Good stuff. Lets see some more photos!
stephenprudence

OK as its near the end of the growing season, here are some photos from the side border.

Everything has done very well, especially considering how dry the soil is.

The pictures I'm about to add are the worst possible quality but you get the photos. Excuse the general mess in the driveway. Apologies but some of them are sideways I dont know how to fix this.
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG