Fern Robs Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GREVILLE

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by GREVILLE »

You made it, Rob icon_cheers

Phew! I've been left breathless. Would you save those tree ferns in time? More exciting than......Indiana Jones? :lol: :lol: My planted out Dicksonia antarctica stays where it is unprotected. My three potted more tender ferns will go into an unheated house before a freeze hits. About as exciting as..............a 198 move chess match :|
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:Are you not providing heat for the cyathea Rob?
I'm ordering Fleece and straw for the trunked Cyatheas and making them in to a cone shape so they can be moved in doors for the worst of the weather. Alleghenies Cyatheas are in the tunnel and I will put a paraffin heater in with them next week.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

GREVILLE wrote:You made it, Rob icon_cheers

Phew! I've been left breathless. Would you save those tree ferns in time? More exciting than......Indiana Jones? :lol: :lol: My planted out Dicksonia antarctica stays where it is unprotected. My three potted more tender ferns will go into an unheated house before a freeze hits. About as exciting as..............a 198 move chess match :|
Reduced stress now! Only the Cyatheas to protect better for the worst of the winter.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:
I'm ordering Fleece and straw for the trunked Cyatheas and making them in to a cone shape so they can be moved in doors for the worst of the weather. Alleghenies Cyatheas are in the tunnel and I will put a paraffin heater in with them next week.
Hope its arriving today Rob as its tonight the cold arrives. Certainly cyathea damaging/killing temps likely.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi getting confused now icon_scratch thought you did not have to protect Dicksonia antarctica unless you got down to -5? I have not done anything to mine :shock:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

dorothy wrote:Hi getting confused now icon_scratch thought you did not have to protect Dicksonia antarctica unless you got down to -5? I have not done anything to mine :shock:
I always protect them, frost does them no good. Protect them and the flush is likely to be better.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
Hope its arriving today Rob as its tonight the cold arrives. Certainly cyathea damaging/killing temps likely.
The Cyatheas are in the shed and poly house so they should be ok tonight.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

dorothy wrote:Hi getting confused now icon_scratch thought you did not have to protect Dicksonia antarctica unless you got down to -5? I have not done anything to mine :shock:
You are right Dorothy. But no harm in protecting although a ball of fleece in the crown overnight is all thats needed.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Don't worry, they'll be fine.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would never leave a Dicksonia antarctica crown un protected.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Thanks for the reply. Just got home and found posts. Too late to put fleece in now but will sort out if weather continues to stay cold :D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

dorothy wrote:Thanks for the reply. Just got home and found posts. Too late to put fleece in now but will sort out if weather continues to stay cold :D
Protect them. icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm going to water some of my tree ferns tomorrow, I will check the weather first.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

fern Rob wrote:I'm going to water some of my tree ferns tomorrow, I will check the weather first.
Me too Rob, digging mine out for the move so will dig out, water and then wrap them back up when it goes cold.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mine are still putting out new croziers, haven't had the heart to cut them back as they look so magnificent.
Dragged them up onto the patio close to the house... the frost monitors haven't gone off yet either.