Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Cheshirepalms blog - Its Spring time to cut the grass!

Post by cheshirepalms »

Been out grafting digging the new border today and extended some of the other ones, still loads to do though! Only done up to the washing line at which point my girlfriend said we should have a semi-circular patio there, I'm weighing it up to be honest. No planting yet, didn't have time today even if I'd wanted too!
Attachments
phpxAEaV3AM.jpg
phpxAEaV3AM.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
php0SBHQfAM.jpg
php0SBHQfAM.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
php6FZqZTAM.jpg
php6FZqZTAM.jpg (36.03 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
phpExv5LlPM.jpg
phpExv5LlPM.jpg (36.56 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
phpF97j6qPM.jpg
phpF97j6qPM.jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
phpMUCitLAM.jpg
phpMUCitLAM.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog - New fence and new borders.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Basjoo unwrapped today with the promise of some warm weather over the weekend, should dry out nicely now. Days off on Monday and Tuesday, so can finish the borders off and commence planting, weather permitting! icon_sunny
Attachments
basjoounwrap.jpg
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog - Planting the new border!

Post by cheshirepalms »

With the above average temperatures over recent days set to continue, I decided today was a good day to plant the new border. Also I dug the one on the opposite side of the garden so all the palms are now part of the borders and not in the lawn, this should make cutting the grass a lot easier! Today I planted, cordyline red star, Musa lasiocarpa, fargesia murielae, hibiscus syriacus and an olive. Also relocated a peach tree into the new border.
Attachments
border15.jpg
border15.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border14.jpg
border14.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border13.jpg
border13.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border12.jpg
border12.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border11.jpg
border11.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border10.jpg
border10.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border9.jpg
border9.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border8.jpg
border8.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border7.jpg
border7.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
border6.jpg
border6.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

A few more...
Attachments
border5.jpg
border5.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
border4.jpg
border4.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
border3.jpg
border3.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
border2.jpg
border2.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
border1.jpg
border1.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Certainly taking shape CP icon_cheers icon_cheers

When is the black paint coming out :shock: :shock: Reckon that would add some serious depth to the borders and make the plants pop icon_sunny

red cordy and the chammy are my favs in those pics icon_salut
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:Certainly taking shape CP icon_cheers icon_cheers

When is the black paint coming out :shock: :shock: Reckon that would add some serious depth to the borders and make the plants pop icon_sunny

red cordy and the chammy are my favs in those pics icon_salut
I quite like the colour of the fence so I'm going to leave it as is I think, certainly for this year.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Wow, you work fast. In an earlier post you said you wanted the fence up by June, so your over 2 months ahead of schedule! icon_salut

The plants should hopefully establish well this year and rock in the years to come.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Wow, you work fast. In an earlier post you said you wanted the fence up by June, so your over 2 months ahead of schedule! icon_salut

The plants should hopefully establish well this year and rock in the years to come.
Impatience is a terrible thing :lol:, But on a serious note its great to be ahead of plans, just maintenance now for this year. I've decided on a semi-circular patio to get over the washing line problem, so it can stay.
SueW

Post by SueW »

It's filling out beautifully, CP! I love that cordy red star. Its a bold move, planting that Olive into the ground too. Great contrast. :)
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

My lack of patience strikes again, should have waited until today when the grass had been cut and the sun was shining to the photos. Here's a couple from today in the sun. icon_sunny. I also had the chance to buy some citrus compost and repot my calamondin and a seed grown clementine that I grew from seed about 20 years ago.
Attachments
php9kOtOaAM.jpg
php9kOtOaAM.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
php47YhK1AM.jpg
php47YhK1AM.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
phpnsbHbuAM.jpg
phpnsbHbuAM.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Now the back is almost finished, some of bulbs that were started off in the greenhouse have gone in today, just the arums really to go in, and echiums if they germinate. My attention is now drawn towards planning the arid bed for the front. The line shows where it will be and the Chamerops and Agave will part of it. First job is to remove the turf and then dig in some sharp sand and grit, plant and then top with decorative gravel. I have some cacti in the greenhouse to go in. Any thoughts for hardy aloes I can use too? I'm weighing up putting my potted Canary Island date palm in there also in front of agave on the side away from the house, but should it survive it would take over my drive/porch and next doors too!
Attachments
arid.jpg
arid.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
phps07bkrAM.jpg
phps07bkrAM.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
phpQeGE57AM.jpg
phpQeGE57AM.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cheshirepalms wrote:Now the back is almost finished, some of bulbs that were started off in the greenhouse have gone in today, just the arums really to go in, and echiums if they germinate. My attention is now drawn towards planning the arid bed for the front. The line shows where it will be and the Chamerops and Agave will part of it. First job is to remove the turf and then dig in some sharp sand and grit, plant and then top with decorative gravel. I have some cacti in the greenhouse to go in. Any thoughts for hardy aloes I can use too? I'm weighing up putting my potted Canary Island date palm in there also in front of agave on the side away from the house, but should it survive it would take over my drive/porch and next doors too!

Aloe striatula is the most hardy/easiest to grow Aloe that I'm aware of. Polyphylla is a real looker and can be hardy to -8ish if it's true to species and not a hybrid.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Aloe striatula is the most hardy/easiest to grow Aloe that I'm aware of. Polyphylla is a real looker and can be hardy to -8ish if it's true to species and not a hybrid.
Thanks Kris, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that, although I don't think I've ever seen it for sale.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Looking really good icon_cheers