Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Mr List

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, spear pull

Post by Mr List »

mine is in quite a shady place, but I got it for the large leaves not for fruit anyway :)
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Who needs tropicals for big leaves.

Post by cheshirepalms »

I got it for leaves too, didn't expect flowers let alone fruit, it needs to get a move on to Fruit, although I do think it needs a pollinator. I brushed the flowers today in case so we will see.
Last edited by cheshirepalms on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Can't get over the size of these Lupin leaves, certainly gives a good tropical look. Also finally bought a cycas today, went to BQ armed with my fathers day voucher looking for a Pittosporum tobira, and ending up with the cycas, close lol. My plan is to give it some heat in the greenhouse and drench it for a week and hope that forces it into flushing, we will see.
Attachments
june1712.jpg
june1719.jpg
june178.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I like lupins, I got one in my first year gardening when I was picking things that look jungly without knowing anything about plants or styles of gardens.

it got murdered by massive aphids though, put me off trying again, so far.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I used to have lupins in the old garden, and it was a right greenfly fest, full of em :cry:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine use to get hit badly by them, you just have to keep an eye and hit them early before they take hold.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Lupine are exotic, don't they grow in New Zealand, they are great plants for foliage and colour.
Nick

Post by Nick »

cordyman wrote:I used to have lupins in the old garden, and it was a right greenfly fest, full of em :cry:
Same here, all the flower buds wilt and get destroyed by aphids
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

good to know it wasn't my inexperience as a gardener with mine then icon_thumright
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Mine look ok, touch wood and no problems last year.
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Opuntia flower!

Post by cheshirepalms »

Only got these opuntia pads a few weeks ago from miketropic and allready they are flowering, very surprised. Is there any chance of fruit I wonder?
Attachments
opuntia21.jpg
opuntia.jpg
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

cordyman wrote:I used to have lupins in the old garden, and it was a right greenfly fest, full of em :cry:
I use Provado at half strength and it sorts it straight away. Had an infestation on one lupin last week, wilted flower heads etc. Treated with provado in the evening, next morning all the heads had righted themselves.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: I use Provado at half strength and it sorts it straight away.
Thanks, will try it next time icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

hat flower looks wonderful cheshire..glad they are taking a likeing to the UK. that flower is alot more open than the ones on mine of the same type. the flowers on the other type will have a dark orange inner with the yellow outside. I tried to cross them the othrday we will see if any of it takes..good luck with them and keep me posted... I just got this type the other day..will send you a pad once its big enough to cut on.

pads are blue and almost 12 inchs across..hardy for me here as well so I know there good for you.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

That sounds good, It looks similar to the big one I got last year (at the back of the 2nd photo), but without the blue tinge. The slugs have had a go at it again this week as they did last year though, they don't seem to go for the ones you have sent thank god.