Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cordyman

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog: NEW GARDEN REVEAL.

Post by cordyman »

Looks like so much more light is coming in now! and those conifers are looking better trimmed a bit.

Have you dug any test pits yet to check the soil out :lol:
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

icon_cheers Welcome back Kris icon_cheers

Great video and sounds like you've been very busy. You may have already done it, but I find drawing up a plan on paper like a garden designer would, really helps. Then you can work out how to fit everything in, experiment with the size of the lawn and different border shapes.

Compared to what others have said about the conifer hedging, I'd agree with you and not worry too much about it. As long as it doesn't affect the sunlight getting in too much. Although I'm taking a guess that the garden might be south facing already? Which will mean that sunlight shouldn't be too affected.

Looking forward to seeing your big Trachycarpus and your other palms being planted. As once the backbone of the garden is in place, then you start to get a feel for it.

Good Luck and great to have you back. icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cheers all for the welcomes back (and the funny posts made in my absence!!.....)

Karl, bamboos are certainly in my plans for planting to create a bit of shelther. Need to be careful not to cast too much shade though.

The house was built in 1965 ish and before that the land was allotment land so the soil is pretty good, if on the heavy side. It's a clay soil but without all the thick clay layers that I'm used to which is a good thing. Not done any proper digging yet but hopefully all the soil will be good and fertile, if a little wet.

A2palms26 I have done many sketches of a garden plan over the last three years with this garden in mind. In due course I will do a proper plan and may even mark it out on the ground. It will evolve like all gardens. A good third will be for the kids for the next 15 years or so though.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Finally got round to watching your vid. That shrub at 2min 30sec I think is/was prunus lusitanica. So much scope to do stuff! I'd definitely keep the greenhouses and if worried about being child friendly with glass, fence it off.
Whats the aspect?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

[quote="flounder"]Finally got round to watching your vid. That shrub at 2min 30sec I think is/was prunus lusitanica. So much scope to do stuff! I'd definitely keep the greenhouses and if worried about being child friendly with glass, fence it off.
Whats the aspect?[/quo

The back garden faces NW but gets sun for at least 100ft all day long.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Surprising how much space you've clawed back so far......

Whats your next plan of action in the garden Kris?

Have you designated areas to be completed first in your hard landscaping projects?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

tropicalwon wrote:Surprising how much space you've clawed back so far......

Whats your next plan of action in the garden Kris?

Have you designated areas to be completed first in your hard landscaping projects?

My next plan will be to actually get my plants across to the new garden. There have been many casualties this winter mainly due to been so busy and under watering things.. plus having the heater off in the greenhouse....poor colocasia/alocasias/coleus didn't stand a chance. :(

Moving the big Trachycarpus should be fun.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Sounds like fun and I don't envy you moving the Trachycarpus........but it will be good to have your plants back where they belong..... 8)

Shame about the Aroids etc . I sure it won't be long before you have them replaced icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, regardless of what your long term plan's are, i think you should get the big Trachycarpus from your father in law's garden planted as its been out the ground far to long now, you could get to much root die back and further hinder its progresss, thats unless you've potted it already?. karl.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Trachycarpus will get planted asap. Got a few spots in mind. Didn't grow at all last year so not sure if its actually gonna make it. Hopefully I'll find some nice roots when I get it out of its pot.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I wouldn't rush planting anything.

you should really take the time to do a proper design
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:I wouldn't rush planting anything.

I'll share my design ideas soon enough.
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

Great space to make your dream garden Kris. im sure when you have done your thing it will look fab :D
look forward to following your progress in the coming months icon_salut
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Mr List wrote:I wouldn't rush planting anything.

I'll share my design ideas soon enough.
You don't have to share them now Kris. Although i would get the big trachycarpus planted as soon as possible. Being in that pot for that time and it not looking much different from when you unearthed it...
Im not sure what your temps are and if your ground is still frozen. Its frozen here still for the last month and a half, worst longest winter since i moved here in 2008.

When we have plus temps in the night, ive decided im planting out my filibuster, robustas and my waggies and not forgetting my armata's. i have had enough of the robustas doing really well in the summer and then spending there time inside, growing weak and there fronds being soft and drooping down because they cannot support themselves, id rather try my luck with them. Better dead than looking as the do now....Very sad looking palms...
pdid

Post by pdid »

Good to see you back Kris and the new Garden looks great with a massive design scope. I'm sure you'll do it justice but I hope you've got deep pockets!

I'll probably have a few spare collies/alocasia if and when it warms up.