Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tom2006

Re: Arlons Blog: Cycad's flushing

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks wonderful!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
cordyman wrote:
Jawdropping pics Mark, this in particular just stunning icon_cheers icon_salut
Thanks Steve. I'd really love to add some blue encephalartos types but i don't have a spare arm and leg to pay for them.
GREVILLE wrote:The cycads seem to have capped a brilliant growing season for you, Arlon icon_salut
It has been a good season Greville, despite a later start that nobody really wanted. Still, things continue to grow and hopefully we can still wrangle a good few weeks yet
The blue does pop in between all those plants so that would look good icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: Aroid bed revisted.

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

A friend of mine popped down last week to collect some pups 'n' plants for her Ebay shop & car boot sale fundraising drive. Whilst here, we took some pics .....

The main bed.........

Alocasia x Calidora. In its third year and growing ok...........

Its been flowering for a few weeks now.............

A 2yr old "Dark stem" hybrid now approaching 5ft tall..............

close up of the leaf now at approx 2ft long

and colocasia mammoth (plant no 1) biggest leaf now 94cm (37inches). Last years was 98cm, so a little bit down this year.............

Plant no 2...........

with new leaf emerging . Will it challenge Mike Tropics 39inches..................i doubt it :lol:

Colocasia goaligongensis doing an impression of Clapham junction.................

fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

cordyman wrote:[ Image ]

Jawdropping pics Mark, this in particular just stunning icon_cheers icon_salut
Do they all get dug up for winter? (EDIT: Im referring to the cycads) looks fantastic.

is that more of your artificial rocks? looks good
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Stonkers! Looks like you've been feeding them well.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have a new roller emergeing on my mammoth as well so we will see who takes the trophy this year icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Super aroids, Arlon, but a close second behind Mike's mighty mammoths is no shame! icon_thumleft . I doubt whether Mike can match your naturally evolving rail link between your palm (Trachycarpus?) seedlings :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Is it C burgundy stem?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

huge specimens :shock: :shock: :shock:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Is that the Alocasia x calidora i gave you arlon? if so how have you gotten it to flower so soon from being a small pup in 2011? Ok it had one hell of a root system on it but that is crazy its mother never flowered once before i lost her last year and she was in her 4th year and double the size of yours may be mine was just a creator of pups and didn't want to flower :lol: well done arlon very very impressed with that. icon_salut icon_thumleft And your garden looks divine.
pdid

Post by pdid »

sanatic1234 wrote:Is that the Alocasia x calidora i gave you arlon? if so how have you gotten it to flower so soon from being a small pup in 2011? Ok it had one hell of a root system on it but that is crazy its mother never flowered once before i lost her last year and she was in her 4th year and double the size of yours may be mine was just a creator of pups and didn't want to flower :lol: well done arlon very very impressed with that. icon_salut icon_thumleft And your garden looks divine.
He goes out and sings "Delilah" to them every night before bed time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some great growth this year Mark with both the aroids and cycas coming along a treat icon_thumleft
fern Rob wrote:Is it C burgundy stem?
Dark stem hybrid I believe.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

fieldfest wrote: Do they all get dug up for winter? (EDIT: Im referring to the cycads) looks fantastic.
is that more of your artificial rocks? looks good
Cycads are pot plunged,Dave to save them from our lovely winters. Circinallis and rumphii just wouldn't stand a chance. Revo's might be ok but its easier to pot plunge as well to lift them. Imo it gives a better chance of flush every year.
Yep more fake rock. Under the render is old housebricks and blocks that i dug out of one corner of the garden that were buried under the soil. Saves a lot of trips to the dump as well.
miketropic wrote:I have a new roller emergeing on my mammoth as well so we will see who takes the trophy this year icon_thumright
Trophy is all yours Mike. Mine unfurled yesterday and is considerably smaller. The heat is gone now and i can't see it expanding that much. There's always next year......... :roll:

Here's last years 98cm leaf mammoths, just after i dug them out and trimmed them up for winter.
One day i'll hit the 1m......... :lol:

GREVILLE wrote: I doubt whether Mike can match your naturally evolving rail link between your palm (Trachycarpus?) seedlings :lol:
Work's starting on the HS2 soon.. :)
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Stonkers! Looks like you've been feeding them well.
Thanks Kris. Chicken pellets in the soil and chickpoo brew every fortnight (ish). Last year i worked in a load of manure and didn't this spring. Perhaps thats why the mammoths are just a tad smaller this year.
sanatic1234 wrote:Is that the Alocasia x calidora i gave you arlon? if so how have have you gotten it to flower so soon from being a small pup in 2011?
Its the very one San. It pupped in its first season , next year (last season) it just grew but no pups , no flower, this year its flowered and unusually not to the detriment of the new leaf size, in fact the new leaf is its biggest yet. I think its just in a good hot spot and a good bed. Seems to suit it well.
I accidently left an Ali Mac out in the same bed last winter. It actually came back from a winter low of -6.7 ... :shock:
pdid wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Is it C burgundy stem?
Dark stem hybrid I believe.
Yep, Colocasia "dark stem", which i believe is a hybrid of "burgundy stem". Here's the same plant dug out prior to winter last year...........

dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi garden looks great as per usual :D I have had two out have five of my cycads flush this year which is a first for me so am happy. Your colocasia look so big! I think they are great plants but just don,t have the room for them.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Well done arlon i think our calidora's will pup a lot. I have a pup from the mother plant, i won't post the pic as its your blog but its not a big height about 2ft maximum put out a leave just shy of 2ft long BUT...... has produced a new pup but tiny and won't of formed a leave by the time its gets lifted in two weeks, also another leave about to break through the growth point again that may not happen before it gets lifted. Have you got seeds yet arlon? i would love to buy some off you if you sell any? It would be like adding to the family lol.... It would be a grandson or granddaughter :lol: So impressed about the flowering arlon really well done. icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

How do you store them through winter ?