Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
pdid

Re: Arlons Blog: Colocasia mammoth "dig out"

Post by pdid »

Well done with those Mark, they're monsters!

I'm yet to dig mine out as I am still trying to find time to finish building the greenhouse I bought on eBay. I replaced a lot of the glass with twin wall poly (safer for the kids), but it all needs cutting and sealing and it's taking me far longer than I thought.

My collies will be staying in the greenhouse but it will be heated, the Mrs was none to happy with the cyathea inside last year so if I brought them in I think it would be divorce time! What do you think the minimum temp would be for these? I think I'll try and sneak a few smaller pups into the conservatory and hope she doesn't notice :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Yesterday was a fine sunny day, so took the opportunity to dig out my two "Mammoths", ready for overwintering. They'll spend a few weeks in the greenhouse to develop the pups in the warmer temps and if necessary, they'll be brought indoors if / when it gets too cold .

Lifted, trimmed and potted............

[ Image ]

My first 1m leaf. Only a smidgen over the 1m but its the best i've ever had, so quite chuffed with that. The recent rains and quite favourable temps have no doubt been a great help in expanding the two new leaves on each plant.

1M leaf..........

[ Image ]

Into the warmer greenhouse.............

[ Image ]

FANTASTIC!!!!!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

WoW just WoW, im so jealous Mark :mrgreen:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Deedee wrote:WoW just WoW, im so jealous Mark :mrgreen:
Me too. I'm PANTS at Colies and Alocasias :(
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Me too Kristen, its not for the want of trying :(
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Thanks guys 'n' gals..... icon_thumleft
cordyman wrote: remind me how long they took to get that big? Oooooooooooooof! :shock: :shock:

How much does keeping them going over winter help in heated greenhouse? Mine are going to stall in winter I reckon
The greenhouse isn't heated, Steve. When it gets tooooo cold , they'll come into the house ( no issue with divorce as per Pdid .. :lol: ) . The greenhouse at the mo is still a lot warmer than outside temps, so extends the growing season by a good few weeks.
Kristen wrote:
Deedee wrote:WoW just WoW, im so jealous Mark :mrgreen:
Me too. I'm PANTS at Colies and Alocasias :(
I'm no wizard either, believe me.. Collies aren't so bad but i have had a few adventures with alocasia. There's a story to tell about my macrorrhizos, so i'll try and gather some pics about that as well.

I took a few agaves out of the raised bed yesterday due to the rain and two less hardy cycads have gone into the greenhouse for overwintering. I thought i'd try some cyclamen. The larger cyclamen (aldi) are only good for 0deg but Homebase had some nice trays of jumbo plugs , good for -6 /-7 so i've put a them out as well..................

A bit of winter colour at least...........

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I love those pics Mark, that faux Rockery is looking even more realistic now it's a bit weathered.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Great idea to put those cyclamen there. Makes them look even more exotic icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: My mystery colocasia

Following on from Greville's intriguing post regarding his mystery colocasia, i thought i'd share some pics of my unknown hybrid.
I was sent a couple of pups earlier in the year, the parent plants of which came from the wilds of S.E Asia. Didn't look nothing out of the ordinary when i received them. I potted them up and gave them a nice spot in the greenhouse. They grew quite quickly from the tiny plants that arrived. One thing i noticed was that with every new emerging leaf, the stems got darker. The first few stems were all green. More intriguing was the leaf shape. They were certainly longer and narrower than all my other colocasia and any i've seen and had a ratio roughly 2 x length to 1 x width with a nice white / light coloured veining

One of the mystery plants at approx a month after potting on...................

As they grew the interest increased. I kept comparing them with other collies i have and in particular , my "Dark stem" hybrids. Although similar, there were differences. Most notably the leaf shape and the eye colour.

(Pics of the two pups taken approx in June)

Leaf shape............

One plant showing the darkening stems with each new emerging leaf............

and the other....................

One of the plants in a fuller sun position ............

and the other planted in a semi shade position , notably smaller...........

redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i bought a bag of eddoes online from one of those funny food places and have one plant identical to yours.the rest came up green or didnt come up at all icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

is that red dragon at the bottom of he last pic? that phorm looks good next to it as well whats the name on it? not interested in the collie :lol: icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

redsquirrel wrote:i bought a bag of eddoes online from one of those funny food places and have one plant identical to yours.the rest came up green or didnt come up at all icon_thumleft

Same here. Looks like one of the variable eddoes from a market/shop.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Can't help wondering if there is a dark stem hybrid in the genes somewhere with this one, Arlon.
Arlon Tishmarsh

miketropic wrote: not interested in the collie :lol: icon_thumleft
I'll have that pup back then, Brian can keep his one........ :lol:
redsquirrel wrote: from one of those funny food places
Wasn't a chinese "funny place" was it ? Only ask because Brian (Botanicals) and Mike's thought was that it might be an old chinese edible that has naturally hybridized in the wild.
GREVILLE wrote:Can't help wondering if there is a dark stem hybrid in the genes somewhere with this one, Arlon.
That was my first thoughts as it developed. Certainly an interesting leaf shape.
miketropic wrote:is that red dragon at the bottom of he last pic? icon_thumleft
I'll root you some for next spring icon_thumleft
miketropic wrote: that phorm looks good next to it as well whats the name on it?
I'm guessing your looking at the little Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Green Goddess'. The parent plant is just coming into flower. Only planted out a couple of months ago. Will take a pic later. Very nice lush foliage on it.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I'll mail it right back over with fresh manure compost free of charge icon_thumleft In the last pic off to the right..yellow centers green edges..thats not a phorm?