Unexpected Garden Birds

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Tom2006

Re: Unexpected Garden Birds

Post by Tom2006 »

I'd love to see them up here, but would it be too cold for them?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:I'd love to see them up here, but would it be too cold for them?
Apparently they are up here. Can't remember where I read it but THINK they are in the Hull area.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I'd love to see them up here, but would it be too cold for them?
Apparently they are up here. Can't remember where I read it but THINK they are in the Hull area.
There's a flock of 50+ in Hartlepool, and small numbers starting to appear around Newcastle.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Not quite a garden bird, but a Slavonian Grebe on Leazes Park Lake in the middle of Newcastle is unexpected, to say the least!
Attachments
Slav Grebe Leazes Park.jpg
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Nice shot Coni, I've not seen one yet, there are a few around the coast here plus Red and Black Necks but are always too far out to see clearly.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

The parakeets over here never seem to stop squeaking and whistling, which does go well with the tropical theme icon_thumright but can be annoying at times. It's like living in Loro Parque. But overall I'm glad we have them.

The good thing (from an ecological point of view) is they're mostly confined to the city (or even certain parts of the city) where they can survive better due to the microclimates and exotic plants that feed them over winter.

They may compete with the native birds, but then this is a specific, localized urban ecosystem where things are already out of balance, or not in the same balance as they are in the wild anyway. We grow mostly non-native plants, the climate is artificially warmer due to the urban heat island, we feed wildlife over winter and make shelter for it (bird roosting pouches etc.) which you wouldn't find in the wild, so you can't expect the wildlife to be in the same state as it is out in the woods or marshes.

Yes they're a non-native, invasive species in London, but so are us humans :lol: and our dogs, cats and what have you. If you think we should bring the city to balance, I suggest we blow up all the buildings first to give space to the native trees, cull humans to maybe 1 per square mile and then the parakeet population will naturally drop.

One thing I'd love to have here is hummingbirds, although I'm not sure they would stay within the city boundaries. In the Americas they're found all over from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, those that visit the cooler parts are migratory. If they were introduced to England, they might migrate to Africa over the Channel and Strait of Gibraltar for the winter, and become a threat. Although I can't see what threat they would pose, competing for flower nectar with the bees?
kata

Post by kata »

One thing I'd love to have here is hummingbirds, although I'm not sure they would stay within the city boundaries.
Hmmm...I love the Hummers but no way will they appear anywhere near London or anywhere else other than places like Canada.

I have tried, believe me since I registered at a canadian forum early 1990s. There was this Canadian lady who showed me the Hummers where the family used to take their caravan and the Hummers drank from the red feeders.

No, we will not get hummers here sad to say otorongo, It will never be anywhere near warm enough.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

kata wrote:No, we will not get hummers here sad to say otorongo, It will never be anywhere near warm enough.
I don't think Alaska is warmer than London in the summer?
kata wrote:Hmmm...I love the Hummers but no way will they appear anywhere near London or anywhere else other than places like Canada.
Not sure what you mean, what is "like Canada"?

In order for the hummers to appear, someone would have to illegally bring enough of them over to Europe or the laws would have to be changed. As it stands, they're only ever found in nature in the Americas, including the Caribbean (but not Hawaii).
Last edited by otorongo on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Northernmost resident (non-migratory) hummers are Anna's Hummingbirds, which are present all year as far north as Vancouver (49°N). So (if illegally introduced) they'd be able to survive in places like Cornwall. Somewhere like Tresco on Scilly and other south coast gardens, they'd find plenty of food all year round.

Rufous Hummingbird (migratory) breeds north to 61°N in southern Alaska (same latitude as Shetland), but getting them to adapt to a new migration route on a new continent would be difficult.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Another unexpected (tho' not garden) bird, today . . .

Anyone want to guess?
Attachments
Picture 317a.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Not sure what you mean, what is "like Canada"?
Summer heat otorongo, heat. Canadian summers are a lot hotter than ours, just as their winters are a lot colder.

To bring Hummers here would be too cruel, I really do not think they would survive.

A Gallery...Edmonton - Canada

http://www.pbase.com/abundant108/image/126472928

An Image I picked up a couple of years ago.
hummingbird3.jpg
kingfisher2a.jpg
My favorite bird after the Hummers is the Kingfisher, I bought this picture from a photographer three years ago.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Golden Plover?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Clive60 wrote:Golden Plover?
Near, but not quite icon_thumright
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »