Hedgehogs

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
flounder

Hedgehogs

Post by flounder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

A few pictures taken tonight of two camera shy hogs foraging under the bird feeder. I think the light colour one is a male after nooky, haven't seen that one before. The other has been a regular for a couple of years.
Attachments
DSC03315.jpg
DSC03316.jpg
DSC03317.jpg
DSC03318.jpg
DSC03319.jpg
DSC03320.jpg
DSC03321.jpg
DSC03322.jpg
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)

Dim

Re: Hedgehogs

Post by Dim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 am

I work in a small garden that I landscaped from scratch 2 years ago ...

2 years ago, a small hedgehog made his home beneath the garden shed ... I saw him earlier this week for the 1st time since the 2 years , and he has grown considerably.

The residents of the house (it's a shared home), say that he hedgehog comes out at night, crawls beneath the garden gate and goes on a meander through the village, then returns later. One of the girls says that a few evenings ago, the hedgehog returned with a dead bird

just wondering if it is a good idea to feed the hedgehog? .... (especially during winter), or do the hibernate/sleep throughout? ....
"We don't live off the food that we eat,
We live off The Energy IN the food we eat!!!"
- Dr. Carey Reams, Phd. in Biophysics and Biochenistry

kata

Post by kata » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:13 am

Wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog

Great shots Flounder!

icon_sunny
http://flowersnpalms.com/floraandfaunauk/

Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

flounder

Post by flounder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:53 am

Dim wrote:I work in a small garden that I landscaped from scratch 2 years ago ...

2 years ago, a small hedgehog made his home beneath the garden shed ... I saw him earlier this week for the 1st time since the 2 years , and he has grown considerably.

The residents of the house (it's a shared home), say that he hedgehog comes out at night, crawls beneath the garden gate and goes on a meander through the village, then returns later. One of the girls says that a few evenings ago, the hedgehog returned with a dead bird

just wondering if it is a good idea to feed the hedgehog? .... (especially during winter), or do the hibernate/sleep throughout? ....
They hibernate through winter. I/we (the wife) puts out food in the Autumn just to give them a boost for the winter months. They eat anything!
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)

otorongo

Post by otorongo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:16 am

Awesome, I've never seen a hedgehog in London.

Personally I wouldn't feed them, they're wild animals and they're supposed to feed themselves, but creating a quasi-natural habitat / shelter for them would be a good idea, kind of like feeding the birds vs planting shrubs that give them food and shelter, the latter is more natural and low-maintenance.

allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

I'd love to get a hedgehog back in my garden. Since I lost the last one the slugs have run rampant. I've even built a large twig pile at the end of the garden to attract them in.

flounder

Post by flounder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 pm

A lot of the problems associated with hedgehogs, are peoples gardens are too manicured and tidy.....I don't suffer with that :oops:

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

I love hedgepigs, wish I had some here to kill off the slugstards.
Once upon a time there were 3 little bears. Now there's thousands of them.

kata

Post by kata » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Hedgepigs.... :lol:

I had one in my garden a few years back.

icon_sunny

miketropic

Post by miketropic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 pm

ally amazing to see them wild like that. here in the US they sell them in pet shops for children and here very tame and fun to play with...wish I had somthing like that but all I end up with is moles and snakes
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics

daz h

Post by daz h » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 am

used to have a couple living under our shed , used to feed it the occasional bit of cat food - they love it but boy are they noisy eaters .
havent seen it all this year though

kracker

Post by kracker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:25 pm

A couple of weeks ago driving the family down a country road i came across one ,it was big one walking across the road too late to stop i veered the car over the top of it i passed right under the car and out the back whilst the wife had her eyes closed she said please tell me you didn't hit it i said no in the rear view it toddled off to the other side :o
Poloticians and nappies should both be changed regularly for the same reason !

kata

Post by kata » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:45 pm

I can't decide who was luckier, you (wife beating a tattoo on ya) or hoggy that escaped... :lol: :lol: