Frogs

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
StefanNL

Re: Frogs

Post by StefanNL »

Alexander wrote:We have Eropean treefrogs here in the country. Its my favorite one. Nearby where I live there is an population of them. I have heard one there last spring.

http://waarneming.nl/soort/info/439?_popup=1

Alexander
In the dunes nearby Westenschouwen/Burgh-Haamstede (in the province of Zeeland) they are introduced and thriving, in contrast to 'native' populations where they are still in decline... I once read an article that they tried to introduce them in the UK but it unfortunately failed.

Just a picture I made:

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

StefanNL wrote:
Alexander wrote:We have Eropean treefrogs here in the country. Its my favorite one. Nearby where I live there is an population of them. I have heard one there last spring.

Alexander
In the dunes nearby Westenschouwen/Burgh-Haamstede (in the province of Zeeland) they are introduced and thriving, in contrast to 'native' populations where they are still in decline... I once read an article that they tried to introduce them in the UK but it unfortunately failed.

Just a picture I made:

[ Image ]
I know from that population. They seem to have been introduced from Croatia. The same Hyla arborea but from a differend part of Europe. Those north of The Hague have also been introduced. Hopefully those are from North West European origin. And the ''native inland populations'' are increasing in number due to the creation of new breedingpools and habitat.

The reason European treefrogs they are not found in the UK, with several other reptiles and amphibiens has probably to do that they did not arrive Britain before it got seperated from the continent by the Channel. They could live in, at least the warmer Southeastern part. But when they arrived into Northern France they could not get across that 40 km of seawater.

Warmblooded animals like mammals however could get across as they could live in a colder climate when the UK was still conected to the continent.

Alexander
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the only time i heard a frog scream was when one was hanging out the mouth of a grass snake.both were of good size,the snake easily 2 foot in length if not more. i pinned it down with a brush,it arched up and hissed at me thus releasing froggy who then hopped off across the garden.i then promptly legged it too
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

redsquirrel wrote:the only time i heard a frog scream was when one was hanging out the mouth of a grass snake.both were of good size,the snake easily 2 foot in length if not more. i pinned it down with a brush,it arched up and hissed at me thus releasing froggy who then hopped off across the garden.i then promptly legged it too
Sorry, but not actually a good idea - the frog will almost certainly have died soon after from its injuries, but the snake would have to go and find a new frog for its dinner. End result, two frogs dead instead of just one.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

StefanNL wrote:

Alexander

Just a picture I made:

[ Image ]

Excellent pic Stefan icon_thumleft

There have been numerous attempts at introducing Hyla arborea in the UK but sadly all have failed, the last population that died out was in the New forest in the 1980s.
I’ve heard of escaped captives on the loose in Essex… perhaps they will breed one day and start a new colony here! I’ve also heard an unconfirmed report of a small colony in the London area.

Here is a pic i took of a young Hyla arborea that I saw on the island of Lesvos… thankfully there still common on Lesvos

Tony
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well arround a month ago they did spot 82 of those treefrogs at one day! So that population is apparantly doing very well there! And thats only arround 7 km from here!

Alexander