Surfing swans

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Troppoz

Surfing swans

Post by Troppoz »

Here in Australia our wildlife is a bit different...for example, our swans are black and like to do a spot of surfing:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... t-swimmers
multim

Re: Surfing swans

Post by multim »

Seemed to me that they were looking for some food from the people and became caught up in the swell.
I guess it was a slow news day.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

multim wrote:Seemed to me that they were looking for some food from the people and became caught up in the swell.
Not likely, there was no evidence of people feeding these birds and frankly that would not happen on a Gold Coast beach. Seems to me that the swans were in control of their actions and would have flown off in an instant if they were "caught up in the swell". Who am I to say if the swans enjoyed it, but they certainly were not haphazardly bobbing around in the swell.

multim wrote:I guess it was a slow news day.
Yep youre probably right, the news should only be about wars, rapes, murders and genocide. God forbid we let a bit of lighthearted animal tomfoolery get in the way of serious misery... :roll:
flounder

Post by flounder »

I thought everyone surfed down under, even the all blacks(swans) :wink:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Don't see why swans shouldn't enjoy surfing. Crows and Ravens like sledging.

Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Looks like fun! :lol:

I love the Kea, they need their share of play:

Snowballs

Juveniles playing - http://www.arkive.org/kea/nestor-notabi ... o-17a.html

Ive seen family groups of Australian magpies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_magpie) playing tip chaseys and wrestling around much like the Kea. We had a pet one growing up who was very much a part of the family but didnt so much play with us but was always playing chaseys and wrestles with the dog and cat. Very intelligent bird as well.

My green-cheeked conure loves to play and roll and tumble and have fun, why should swans miss out? :DD
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Black swans are not that uncommon around where I live.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Black swans are not that uncommon around where I live.
That's just the covering of soot that ordinary swans get in Yorkshire :roll: :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Need the soundtrack........"Ride a White Swan....." (Marc Bolan? Giving my age away)
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

GREVILLE wrote:Need the soundtrack........"Ride a White Swan....." (Marc Bolan? Giving my age away)
How about this one instead? Far more appropriate considering the subject matter :lol:

Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

T
Conifers wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Black swans are not that uncommon around where I live.
That's just the covering of soot that ordinary swans get in Yorkshire :roll: :lol:
Aye up! There really are several proper australian black swans in my area. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: Aye up! There really are several proper australian black swans in my area. :D
How do you know they are Australian.... do they honk with an Aussie accent :?: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote: Aye up! There really are several proper australian black swans in my area. :D
How do you know they are Australian.... do they honk with an Aussie accent :?: :lol:
Think they're black from wallowing in the Ashes :lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
They wear cork hats.. :lol: