were there any parts of the UK that didnt have a bad winter?

palm lad

were there any parts of the UK that didnt have a bad winter?

Post by palm lad »

just been wondering which areas if any didnt have such a bad experience of the arctic weather last winter? seen as though ive heard of many plants down south that survived really well during the cold spells like Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's and cordy's etc :)
sanatic1234

Re: were there any parts of the UK that didnt have a bad win

Post by sanatic1234 »

None did palm lad. Every where got it, just some area's worst than others. Here is a pic to give you a general idea of it.
Attachments
winter 2010.jpg
winter 2010.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

:shock: :shock:

woow!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

And WoW again. We can't have another winter like that, can we?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Lets hope not Deedee.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well, we're on the edge of discovery I feel.

If we do have another winter like the last 2 or 3 then we're one step closer to it being a pattern.

That said, all the weather models this year so far have been reliably innacurate so who knows? We might end up having the mildest for 100 years which would be an absolute blessing.

It's looking like we're going to have a good Indian summer up North anyway so not all imminent doom just yet.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

wasnt that bad here, my only non hardy plant outside at the time was a 18" tall musa basjoo stump and that survived with about 3" of grass cuttings at the base and an upside down kitchen bin with a hole in it and no insulation, even the 3" pup next to it came through
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

It was the coldest December I've ever seen, and the neighbours who are a good deal older said the same, it was a big event for us here, nothing like that ever happens (that is nothing of interest). Snow wise we hardly had any, so clear skies were an issue. That said there wasn't many very cold nights (below -5C), but the frequency of nights below 0C where a problem.

The winter wasn't cold, it came in just below average, thanks to a slightly above average January and comfortably above average February.

In fact here January and February combined had no more than about 3-4 air frosts, which is quite staggering in terms of lack of frosts, but this will of course be forgotten because of the severity of December.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No need to repeat what happened here! Coldest snowiest spell EVER (since records began) up here!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The picture i have posted Stephen was taken in January 2011? so that is very strange how your temps were not too bad? you must of had plenty of cloud cover, I know where i am January was just as cold as December, and even worse for ice!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

That satellite image is from January 2010, not Jan 2011. :wink:

It was widely reported on, that 99% of the country was covered in snow, pretty amazing really.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

:oops: yep :lol: sorry its was. I did wonder for a minute how you missed the bad extremes with a pic like that in january. :lol: :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If it weren't for the 6 weeks of horrendous cold Nov-dec last winter was pretty mild. It's the cold was very very very prolonged and severe.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

But so i read on the internet so don't hold me to this, didn't the UK get caught up in 3 different weather fronts all at the same time, and we was slap bang in the middle of it all.
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

thats another thing ive always been wondering.. when the scientists and weather guys say "we had a cold winter" do they mean the whole season or just the one or two fortnight long arctic cold spells we had within the winter? :?

probably an obvious answer but i dunno :lol:

we had the bad weather like everywhere else up to christmas & new year then after it ended, January and February were just like a 'normal' winter for us just like we were used to having.. not much/hardly any significant snowfall, much higher temps above 0C but still occasional ice and frosts :wink: