Wind !

sanatic1234

Re: Wind !

Post by sanatic1234 »

well my Alocasia was on the floor this morning, my maurelli that had proved pretty resilient against the winds had now torn, ornata torn, basjoo torn, lobelia snapped on the floor, dahlia stems some snapped the rest even more cane given to them, kniphofia pups on the floor, i am not having a good day today, also indoors boiler problems! :x Oh and chucking it down with rain, 'Montbeliardii' however was not shredded but is now in the shed, the 'Montbeliardii' did have more shelter though.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Post by kata »

Kata, 35F is farenheight, or 3C.... Malaysia is 35C :wink: quite a lot of difference.
Ah, yes I see now, Thanks Dave!!

I would settle for 3C here in winter.

Dave, San, and others who plants have ripped, so sorry to hear about that.. :( :(

Not been a bad day here. There was a bad moment this morning around 9am, real windy, more like a gale with rain. It was warm enough to sort the pots ready for late Autumn this afternoon, also had some late afternoon sun.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Very windy here started last night and seems to of got worse as the day has passed :shock: every plant in the garden getting a right battering torrential showers as well
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

you sound the same as how i have it carl, it is just shockingly bad. I have had to moved my little lads slide out the way now as the wind has chucked that over on its side, and i don't fancy that being launched at a plant. :roll:
brendan

Post by brendan »

well battered here bananas,ricinus,lobelia queen victoria all badly damaged even my cordy with a 1 foot trunk bent over to my surprise.Next year it will be a garden full of waggies :lol:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Nada, zilch, no wind at all this summer. This picture of my banana grove would be the same even had I taken a video. No tears, rips or bent leaves. Most days are dead calm and warm days in the 30°C range seem to feel warmer, because of the still air.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Sept-06-11 005.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I suppose it is El Nino reversing the Pineapple Express :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Very lucky you are Barrie,

I read that a lot have ripped in the wind. Those are lovely plants you have there.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Gus Ting is currently visiting my garden, I'll be blowed!

:roll:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Just been out now and from a fairly benign day it's really picked up. Some quite violent gusts, on my walk to the beach there were branches strewn all over the road/pavement.

Now I have a massive earache :roll:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Very windy in Southampton all last night and even worse this morning.
torrential rain on and off most of the day with trees down and flooding in places.
Some of the basjoos at my house have been smashed to pieces with whole leaves ripped clean off but the basjoos in the St Denys area seem to be mostly undamaged.
All palms and other plants seem okay but the nerium oleanders were de flowered for the second time this year.
Still windy now at midnight?.
rgds billdango. :x :x :x :x
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

There a potential superstorm to look out for, currently it's taking a track towards Iceland, but were it to come towards the UK as it shows now, there would be not just damage, but lives lost. It's just a fortunate thing it is the GFS forecasting this as it tends to over-exaggerate storms somewhat.

This 'superstorm' has no gaps between the isobars which is how powerful it is forecasted to be.. I feel sorry for people in Iceland. :shock:
Attachments
wow.png
flounder

Post by flounder »

I got away quite lightly, Another rip on my dc and just one tear on a maurelii paddle icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Been VERY windy today. Pots blown over etc. God help anyone under the eye of that storm if it comes off like that!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:There a potential superstorm to look out for, currently it's taking a track towards Iceland, but were it to come towards the UK as it shows now, there would be not just damage, but lives lost. It's just a fortunate thing it is the GFS forecasting this as it tends to over-exaggerate storms somewhat.

This 'superstorm' has no gaps between the isobars which is how powerful it is forecasted to be.. I feel sorry for people in Iceland. :shock:
It's the remains of Hurricane Katia, currently a Category 4 hurricane. Yep, looks like it could be very nasty in the Faroes and NW Scotland as well.
Attachments
120.gif