tropical storm katia warning - due to hit Monday 12th Sep

billdango

tropical storm katia warning - due to hit Monday 12th Sep

Post by billdango »

Tropical storm Katia is expected to hit southern England on Monday with sustained wind speeds of between 40-50 miles per hour with gusts well in excess of this so get those exotics protected.
rgds billdango. :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
Deedee

Re: tropical storm katia warning.

Post by Deedee »

Never thought i would say this but.. Im happy i live up north :D
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Bill,

I will make sure I have no errands to do in case Lancashire gets tail end...thanks!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

billdango wrote:Tropical storm Katia is expected to hit southern England on Monday with sustained wind speeds of between 40-50 miles per hour with gusts well in excess of this so get those exotics protected.
rgds billdango. :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
The latest forecast from the hurricane centre has it coming up here Bill, not down south, so I think you will be okay.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.sh ... l#contents

It could be windy up here though icon_shaking2
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is what i heard Adam, the north of Scotland is going to get the full front of it some winds could be up to 100mph. Not heard nothing on a storm for the south, all i have heard is that the storm expected to hit the North of Scotland could work its way down the the south.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Yes it is the North of Scotland/England that will take the brunt. If it moves south of here though there will be serious problems as things stand. I wonder if it will be the first tropical storm to hit British waters. The closest a Hurricane classified storm had previous reached is the tip of Ireland before downgraded to a TD and then losing energy.

Incredibly NOAA suggest it will be a tropical storm as it goes over Scotland...
billdango

Post by billdango »

At the moment the storm could pass over central England with possibly the strongest winds south of the center,but whatever happens its going to be a very windy monday on the south coast.
Some ones going to cop it thats for sure.
rgds billdango. :( :( :( :(
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

So the concenus is its going to hit the UK somewhere. We had all better be prepared in that case, move pots etc. Good luck folks :shock: :D
kata

Post by kata »

Poor Scotland gets hit, or could do.........again.

If its not rain, its snow, not snow, its gales.

Good luck everyone. My pots were moved by the shed wall last time we had the warning.

I just got all my leaves back on one of my Acers after hot sun stripped the branches so winds not gonna whip them off again. :( :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks like the far north will get the worst but looks like being windy in many places. Warm today but certainly feels,like autumn is pushing its way in early.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are still showing the most probable path is to the NW of Scotland, with a 58% probablity that it will still be a Tropical Storm with winds >= 39mph, so gusts could be a lot higher. In this scenario it will probably be windy in the south and east but not damaging. :wink:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... e#contents
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JakoMonster »

My palms and cordys and other plants are gonna be wrecked :( but i do love storms
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

There is no huge agreement to where it will hit at the moment, but if it hits England and Wales the Baroclinic development could be devastating. If it hits Scotland it'll be a windy day.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

JakoMonster wrote:My palms and cordys and other plants are gonna be wrecked :( but i do love storms
It might be a tad windy but shouldn't be anything to worry about where you are.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

I doubt it will hit us but if it does it won't be hurricane or a tropical storm it will beome a Extratropical cyclone.