SUNSHINE HOURS UK[DAILY MAIL].30.9.11.

billdango

SUNSHINE HOURS UK[DAILY MAIL].30.9.11.

Post by billdango »

I just read a story in the Daily Mail today about the uk having the lowest amount of sunshine hours anywhere?.
Just for the record the amounts stated for the uk was 1.375 hours yearly.
All i can say about that was if Southampton or anywhere on the South coast was only receiving that amount of sunshine a year i would have emigrated years ago?.
I don,t know who compiled that report but i think they should have another look at the records.
And just for the record Southampton receives about 1.650 to about 1.850. hours a year with just over 2.ooo hours in good summers.
Also i would like to add that right on the South coast itself the yearly hours of sunshine are higher then that with an average of between 1.750 to well over 2.000 hours.
The sunniest places are shanklin, southsea, bognor regis and eastbourne +the channel islands.
Bognor regis has received up to 2.238 hours in good years with eastbourne and shanklin similer.
Jersey beats the lot with just a few hours more so there you have it.
Adam D

Re: SUNSHINE HOURS UK[DAILY MAIL].30.9.11.

Post by Adam D »

They are talking pants.

From the Met Office website:

"Southern England includes the sunniest places in mainland UK, these being the coastal resorts of Sussex and Hampshire. The Isle of Wight also features in the list of high sunshine averages. On the coast average annual sunshine durations can exceed 1750 hours, but 1550-1600 hours is typical of most of the region with a decrease towards the north (e.g. 1450 hours over the higher Chilterns)."
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ ... pavge.html

Well here's the official stance..

Here the average is just short of 1500 hours in my experience (I used to take mesurements when I had the equipment).

The record here is a lowly 1900 hours circa in 1995.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

stephenprudence wrote:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ ... pavge.html

Well here's the official stance..

Here the average is just short of 1500 hours in my experience (I used to take mesurements when I had the equipment).
Cor!

Who would want to live up in NW Scotland if you like the sun, eh? (sorry huporhaha)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

billdango wrote:I just read a story in the Daily Mail
What a silly thing to do! :lol: :lol: :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

For the record the article about the sunshine hours mentioned in the Daily Mail on was page22.
This article was about British people leaving the uk to live in Poland.
The story stated that poland receives about 200 hours more sunshine then the uk?.
Now i must admit at this time i don,t know how much sunshine Poland receives yearly but i would suspect the total must be similer to the South of England.
But i do know that Poland has a continental Climate with hotter summers then the uk and much colder Winters.
rgds Billdango. icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

billdango wrote: But i do know that Poland has a continental Climate with hotter summers then the uk and much colder Winters.
rgds Billdango. icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny
Hotter summers would be great :)

However, I really do not fancy colder winters, brrr! ;)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

billdango wrote: This article was about British people leaving the uk to live in Poland.
The story stated that poland receives about 200 hours more sunshine then the uk?.
That is incorrect Bill, they are going to Poland as it is empty.... all the Poles are here :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:all the Poles are here :lol:
Not true!

The North Pole and the South Pole aren't here :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Dave Brown wrote:
billdango wrote: This article was about British people leaving the uk to live in Poland.
That is incorrect Bill, they are going to Poland as it is empty.... all the Poles are here :lol:
Thats true Dave?.
Southampton has more Polish Citizens living here then any other city in uk.
They just love the parks in Southampton and all those lovely exotics we can grow here.
To get back on topic Krakow gets about 1.700 hours of sun a year so i was,nt far out.
rgds billdango icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft