Weather looks pretty cold for the next 2 months.

sanatic1234

Weather looks pretty cold for the next 2 months.

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just looked at a long! range forecast, so not certain forecasts and the next 2 months look like they will be colder than average, but january and i know is a very uncertain forecast so could possibly be wrong! does look like a good month with mild temperatures. So all in all this winter could turn out to be a not so bad one after all as all this hype is suggesting. Someone told me earlier that the uk will be seeing temps of -20c i just laughed and said what doughnut told you that he said the paper :lol: :lol: anyway here is the forecast readings.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?acti ... ange;sess=
kata

Re: Weather looks pretty cold for the next 2 months.

Post by kata »

If its going to be a mildish wet winter its made a start San,

We are on our fifth day of fine rain....heavy, very heavy rain for the first two days.

Its supposed to be dry tomorrow.
:(
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think the winter will be mild, the Uk weather has been pretty much in normal mode and none of the traditional patterns show cause for alarm.
Its just a case of whether the weather is staying normal or following new patterns , if its the latter then cold winters will stay, its hard to imagine a 1 in 50 winter followed by a 1 in 200 winter followed by another.... those odds are higher than winning the nationall lottery.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Looks pretty average to me, the sake of 0.1 to 0.5C isn't going to be a problem if below average.. however these long range forecasts are always very vague, 0.5C either way is pretty much an average winter. I doubt it'll be that average either way.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We can't even get the 5 day forecast right, so why believe any wild guesses 2 months ahead :roll:

I think, all in all, there is a very high probability that the 2 month forecast won't be correct :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:We can't even get the 5 day forecast right, so why believe any wild guesses 2 months ahead :roll:
It was supposed to be dry this afternoon; it wasn't. They can't even get the 1 day forecast right! icon_thumbdown
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Dave Brown wrote:We can't even get the 5 day forecast right, so why believe any wild guesses 2 months ahead :roll:

I think, all in all, there is a very high probability that the 2 month forecast won't be correct :wink:
Agreed it's widely accepted those forecasts change every day as the data adjusts, there's really no point in having them at all.

That said all the long range models are experimental they are not designed to be used in a forecast. I think they just gather data to help with trying to get more superior weather modelling - I think we could be here waiting for that a while.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I sincerely hope we return to a "normal" or nicely mild winter. Its been none stop drizzle here for days now, but still lovely and mild day and night. The plants have had a lovely soak before it starts to dry up tomorrow and I can make the final tidy of the garden and cut the grass before the temperatures fall next week

There are still some concerns in the models that are signalling some serious blocking in the Atlantic along with a European high effectively forcing cold low pressures down from the far north. At the moment some models are unfortunately showing this cold feeding directly down over the UK, but its a LONG way off thankfully and hopefully will change. Even so frosts certainly look likely for quite a few up north next week and onwards, how frosty and how widespread is still to be determined.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It will definitely get a lot colder there is no questioning that and whoever doubts that is just being plain naive, this mild spell will not last that is obvious and what follows a mild spell a cooler spell. I didn't once say these forecasts were right. I did state that in my first post, i said not certain forecasts and January very uncertain forecast. I was more pointing towards a possibility as to what could happen. Who knows we may have a mild January but who knows we could see -17c! we just don't know. BUT... i would love to see a forecast like this happen as the winter would be a hell lot better than the last 2 we have just had.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

San, winter normally is colder than autumn :wink:

My view on this is I used to enjoy autumn as the plants are their biggest and most lush, but at the same time kept a eye on the 5 day and 2 day forecasts ready to swing into action when that dreaded frost was forecast. Some years things were out, and the garden looking good until after Christmas icon_thumright

I just wonder how many people will be put off growing many of these plant due to the constant paranoia about it turning cold.... it does get cold eventually. I can honestly say this is the first year when winter has been talked about all year. I couldn't garden like that. It's like talking about Christmas all year :lol:

Ok the pics below are an extreme case, but if I had dug everything out in September, I'd have just had an empty garden for 4 months longer than necessary :wink:
Attachments
Jan Garden 190107 after the storm 002.jpg
Jan Garden 110107 008.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah i know winter is colder than autumn. I just thought i would post the link as it could be a possibilty as to what could happen, we can't say that forecast is wrong but yet we can't say it is right what we i can say is that its a possibility. All i am saying either way is with a forecast like that everybody would have a lot of a easier time in there gardens plant wise and a hell of a lot more survival rate as well as if those reading did turn out to be right that would mean hardly any freezing temps. :-)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would take that forecast if it was offered, it really wasnt so bad and nothing like the last 2 winters or the narnia forecasts from some newspapers.
kata

Post by kata »

Today its brighter so I live in hope after lunch to get some plants sorted and washing out for a change,

Dave, I thought you had the weather sorted........ :lol: :lol:

Don't let us down now. :mrgreen:
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Dave Brown wrote: Ok the pics below are an extreme case, but if I had dug everything out in September, I'd have just had an empty garden for 4 months longer than necessary :wink:
It's so unfair! I didn't have a garden when you guys had these mild winters! I wish I could have a winter like that for my garden! :cry: