Cyclone Grant on the move

Andy P

Re: Cyclone Grant on the move

Post by Andy P »

Glad it`s missed you Sean. icon_thumleft I was keeping my fingers crossed for ya. And Yes of course we care. We`ve had a few damaging storms over here this last few weeks and i find the winds quite frightening. But they`re nothing compared to what you can get. Now,hopefully you can enjoy the rest of Christmas and the new year without the worry. :)
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Thanks Andy much appreciated.

Cant really relax for another 4-5 months though until the cyclone season is over. Might get a few more close calls yet... :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Troppoz wrote:Nah give me louvres and fresh air anyday. I live on the verandah pretty much anyway, the lounge and TV are out there, the only time I use the inside is for cooking showering and sleeping. The rest of the time Im outdoors.
Wow, my kind of existance icon_thumright icon_salut I'm outside as well as much as I can be. I only use the lounge in winter, and only really forced in as too many plants in the conservatory. By early Mach I'll be back in the conservatory, and then outside whenever warm enough. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

fully appreciate where you are coming from.i guess if i lived in that climate,i would be the same too icon_thumright icon_thumright furthest abroad ive been is ireland and it wasnt exactly tropical :lol: :lol: :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Just an update on Cyclone Grant.

After crossing the coast about 150km to our east the cyclone turned into a rain depression and bought up to 400mm of rain to the town of Katherine to our south, flooding the region extensively and cutting off our only road connection with the rest of Australia. The flooding derailed a freight train south of Katherine spilling toxic waste into the Edith River and authorities are still assessing the damage ...

There are apparently hundreds of cars, trucks, buses etc stranded either side of the flood zone, and with the rail line cut off some supplies are not coming through. Not sure what the people stranded on the highway are doing for food and essentials but I imagine they would be receiving air drops.

The remnants of the cyclone are now in the Gulf of Carpentaria and havent yet reformed into a tropical cyclone, but once it crosses Cape York Peninsula and out into the Coral Sea it may well reform and affect the Queensland coast...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Troppoz wrote:The flooding derailed a freight train south of Katherine spilling toxic waste into the Edith River and authorities are still assessing the damage ...
mmmm....... who in their right mind would be transporting toxic waste with a full blown cyclone in the area. Seems someone needs their intelligence re-assessed :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Troppoz »

Dave Brown wrote: mmmm....... who in their right mind would be transporting toxic waste with a full blown cyclone in the area. Seems someone needs their intelligence re-assessed :roll:
Exactly Dave. Lots of questions need to be asked about this. Will anything come of it? Most probably not... :roll: