Preston, pretty much the whole North West actually, forecast for next week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639912

10c minimum OVERNIGHT???

WTF!

:shock:
Conifers

Re: This can't be normal surely?

Post by Conifers »

Very nice, but not that rare. I've known night minima of 13° in January in Northumbs.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Forecast similar myself. But bbc have always been a few degrees out here. Forecast 4c yet it's steadily risen all evening, currently on 7c.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Ive seen an overnight temperature of 15C in January, but that was during a foehn effect, and was the highest temperature of the day.

10C isn't too rare, but its not that prevalent around Christmas. Christmas Day is traditionally cool and dry for some reason.

This year it will most likely be wet and mild.

Tonight represents the most stable temperatures I've had in months tonight, it's currently 7.1C and has been for about 3 hours - that's very unusual.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yep double digit minimums are not unusual at any time during the winter... In milder weather there usually isn't much difference between day time & night time temperatures.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think the last few winters have made us forget how mild many of our winters have been over the last twenty years or so. There is no real cold forecast anywhere in the UK at all right up until 2012. icon_cheers icon_cheers
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

yeh ,even we are due 10c wed & thurs night......then down to 2c the rest of the week......I aint moaning as the last week I have had "minus" every night.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Ste

Post by Ste »

Double figures might not be that unusual for some members but it is for us in the North West :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Ste wrote:Double figures might not be that unusual for some members but it is for us in the North West :lol:
Must be the Morecamble anti-double figure effect there :lol:

I can remember plenty of times when double figures have occurred in winter here, in fact I remember a fair few times where 13-16C has been hit in January
Ste

Post by Ste »

stephenprudence wrote:Must be the Morecamble anti-double figure effect there :lol:

I can remember plenty of times when double figures have occurred in winter here, in fact I remember a fair few times where 13-16C has been hit in January
To be honest, ive never really taken any notice of temps in winter, just always think they have been cold. Last winter was my first winter since growing palms so its only since then that I have taken any notice on temps. I would be more than happy if every winter was like this one upto now. I reckon my big washy and butia would of sailed through this winter if it wasn't for the last one :(