Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Adam D

Re: Another wind storm for January 3rd

Post by Adam D »

Some pretty strong gusts being recorded around here.

Edinburgh Gogarbank (about 15 miles away) 85mph
Wishaw (about 25 miles away) 102mph!
jezza

Post by jezza »

Gusts of 60mph recorded in the valley but it's always stronger on top of the hill where i am. One fence panel blown out, one wooden fence post snapped off! One poly greenhouse obliterated. It has calmed down now so i've been out trying to patch stuff up. Didn't have much rain though.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Gosh substantial winds youve got going there, stay safe and hope your gardens stay unscathed...
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

this tree made me late for work
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/trees-f ... 42397.aspx
newsimg414fa767treedownjpg.jpg
newsimg414fa767treedownjpg.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 892 times
49mph is the high so far
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

The winds have eased a lot now and I think that we managed to escape the worst of it here in Livingston, but it looks quite rough in other parts of Scotland as you can see by the photos in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16392381

Devon and Cornwall also took a battering.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Winds of over 70 mph on this part of the south coast. Local news showed lots of trees down & buildings damaged...
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well, the wind has hit Preston:

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Been windy all morning but Aidan phoned about 12:15 saying he had just had high winds and torrential rain at work, it had flooded part of the building, and it was headed our way. Kez had just left for Sainbury's so was heading westbound on the A2 straight into it.

It got darker, and darker, then hit. we had a wind speed and high gust of 105.2khr (65.8mph) torrential rain flooding part of the patio. Temperature fell off a cliff from 11.8C to 7.9C in 20 minutes. Another squally cold front :roll:

More Eucalyptus now in the road, but there are so few branches left it is unlikely to ever be brought down. The polytunnel is extremely sheltered so is structurally ok, but the fleece over the top held down by batons was lifted, batons an all, up over and deposited on the north side. The bubble wrap has been shaken down to the bottom, and the door zips have been ripped open. :(

At least the aerial and new washing line are ok. icon_thumright

I said on another post I prefer wind to frost..... but there are limits :ahhh!:

Kez said traffic was down to 25mph on the A2(M)
Attachments
20120103 Chalk stats.jpg
20120103 Cold front windl.gif
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Exotic Life »

KF is passing us now with massive rainfall and even hail. Wind gusts up to 100 km per hour here. More at the coast there are some reading from 130/145 en even 173 km per hour in Ijmuiden. They don't know yet with one is really valid because it can't been seen everywhere.

Lots of damage reports as well, mostly falling trees because the very very wet ground. Some traffic problems as well with some trucs are blowing off the road.

Temperature is dropping now after passing this KF.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Well it did calm down for about an hour or so but has started blowing again :roll: I'm surprised that the two large sycamores at the bottom of the garden are still standing. They're both rotten.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Some very strong winds have been recorded today (I copied this from UKWW):

Some of the highest gusts were at Malin Hd (Ireland) 105mph, Edinburgh Blackford Hill 102 mph and on the Tay Bridge (unofficial), Salsburgh 97mph, Islay 96mph, Inverkip nr Greenock 95mph (unofficial) Aberdaron (W Wales) 93mph, Macrihanish & Drumalbin 92mph, Glasgow Bishopston & Campeltown 91mph & at Portland (Dorset ,south coast) 91mph.

I need to find out where Blackford Hill is as it often cops some of the wilder weather that comes through up here.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is nearly 50% stronger than I got here :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pdid »

Dave Brown wrote: I said on another post I prefer wind to frost..... but there are limits :ahhh!:
I think this is the 4th or 5th windstorm of this strength to hit us Northerners in the last few months.

So far I`ve lost 2 ridge tiles (on separate occasions), one narrowly missing the car, a couple of fence panels along with the concrete posts (concrete cancer) and had a plastic greenhouse trashed along with a load of seedlings. I`m at work at the moment but will no doubt be going home to some more devastation!

And Scotland has had it far worse than me.

I like the fact that it has been mild but i`m sick to death of the wind now, it was windy through most of the Summer too!
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Loads of Trees and fence panels down locally and a Tornado has hit parts of Southsea apparently
Had more than a few Banana leaves snapped off and garden looks a real mess now
Leigh
dino

Post by dino »

Sorry to hear that Leigh. We got away lightly in the Midlands I think, just very wet and windy but no damage.