Freeze on its way! another daily weather blog

The Codfather

Re: Freeze on its way!

Post by The Codfather »

this is about 4 streets away......not sure how to read it properley http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =ICODURHA2 but it differs compared to my readings icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I will try that. Temps will start falling soon. Last few days have been -1 or lower from 4pm
The page will auto-refresh (so if you leave it sitting there when you see it has zoomed out you can zoom back in again)

Dunno how often it refreshes, it might be related to the frequency that the weather station reports new data (you'll see what the interval in the "Tabular Data" towards the bottom of the page)

If you are in a frost pocket presumably the rate that temperatures climb in the morning will be relevant too
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:I will try that. Temps will start falling soon. Last few days have been -1 or lower from 4pm
The page will auto-refresh (so if you leave it sitting there when you see it has zoomed out you can zoom back in again)

Dunno how often it refreshes, it might be related to the frequency that the weather station reports new data (you'll see what the interval in the "Tabular Data" towards the bottom of the page)

If you are in a frost pocket presumably the rate that temperatures climb in the morning will be relevant too

Just remembered that when I get home I dont have the use of a computer becuase I'm still waiting for my webcam movie to finish! :lol: :lol: (see http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=15052)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It's 5c here now and I have 11c forcast for tomoroow.

Cold snap over? Nothing lower than 5c predicted this week.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Not over here, plummeting temperature, we'll be back under 0C soon.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

MikeC wrote:Where I am it's a frost pocket too.

I'm in the bottom of a small valley known as St. Andrews Ridge.

This morning it said -3 on the car outside my house. Drove up the side of the valley and it said +2, drove back and it was showing as the maximum +3, back down the side of this long valley and it was showing 0 by the time I parked the car at home again.

Probably not a good place to try and grow anything tender here.

I'm glad I'll be moving again soon and the garden location and aspect is my no.1 priority now I'm house hunting. Wife doesn't know this of course. :DD

Mike how is the massive washy doing in these temps?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:It's 5c here now and I have 11c forcast for tomoroow.

Cold snap over? Nothing lower than 5c predicted this week.
tonights forcast is 2*c

then its definetely over for me

highs

lows

sexy temps icon_cheers
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

The Codfather wrote:this is about 4 streets away......not sure how to read it properley http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =ICODURHA2 but it differs compared to my readings icon_scratch
How do you mean "not sure how to read it properley" Coddy?

Here's a picture of your area, zoomed out a bit. Looks like the surrounding weather stations are much-of-a-muchness I think - unless the -2 guy just South of you IS accurate.
Attachments
CoddyWeather.jpg
CoddyWeather.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Just remembered that when I get home I dont have the use of a computer becuase I'm still waiting for my webcam movie to finish!
Here's how it looks at 18:50
YK_Weather_1850.jpg
YK_Weather_1850.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
and at 07:30 this (following) morning. Blinking typical, the weather station I centred it on went offline at 21:30 !!
YK_Weather_0730.jpg
YK_Weather_0730.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Oh what a surprise, just got home and it's already -2
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

looks like warming up over the next few days!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

cordyman wrote:
MikeC wrote:Where I am it's a frost pocket too.

I'm in the bottom of a small valley known as St. Andrews Ridge.

This morning it said -3 on the car outside my house. Drove up the side of the valley and it said +2, drove back and it was showing as the maximum +3, back down the side of this long valley and it was showing 0 by the time I parked the car at home again.

Probably not a good place to try and grow anything tender here.

I'm glad I'll be moving again soon and the garden location and aspect is my no.1 priority now I'm house hunting. Wife doesn't know this of course. :DD
Funny you should ask, uncovered everything in the garden today on the promise of a non freezing night according to the weather forcast (looks like it will freeze tonight looking out of the window :roll: ) and the Filibusta doesn't have a mark on it, green and happy as larry.

The only palms that look a bit iffy after the freeze are the two syagrus romanzoffiana santa caterina that look a bit darker, so I'll need to see how they pan out.

So far, not too bad, nothing looks totally knackered it all looks pretty good with just dust sheets and two rope lights for protection.

Next time we have a mild sunny day I'll take some photos of everything. It's all been out in the freeze except my parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi and macrocarpa palms which have been in the garage.

Mike how is the massive washy doing in these temps?
stephenprudence

end of the freeze here, temperature finally rapidly rising, another hour of this and I'll move my potted plants back outside again.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Frost free again here last night, temperatures started to rise after 9pm as a SE breeze kicked in, then slowly dropped off again to the low of 3.6C at around 8am , much warmer tonight, is currently 8.0C :D
stephenprudence

5.5C now, happy again..

but for how long.. :lol:

(dont go there)

the southerly winds have definitely been a blessing for you this weekend Nathan. Mind you there are plenty of similar times when northwest winds have benefitted here - some of the perks of living near/by/on the coast.