Freeze on its way! another daily weather blog

GoggleboxUK

Re: Freeze on its way!

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Is that the NASA who claimed they'd sent a man to the moon in '69 San? :lol:

Ever wonder why they are currently using their satellites to scan the whole of Egypt using ground penetrating infra-red photography? Why are the world's leading space agency getting involved in archaeology?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GoggleboxUK wrote: Ever wonder why they are currently using their satellites to scan the whole of Egypt using ground penetrating infra-red photography? Why are the world's leading space agency getting involved in archaeology?
Or looking for islamicist extremist hideaways? Or looking for underground water resources? We don't know!!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Is that the NASA who claimed they'd sent a man to the moon in '69 San? :lol:

Ever wonder why they are currently using their satellites to scan the whole of Egypt using ground penetrating infra-red photography? Why are the world's leading space agency getting involved in archaeology?
They got involved i think GB to put an end to all this hype of people saying that 2012 will be end of the world, this then being when NASA said there could be planet alignments in the next 3 decades but no catastrophic events will occur from it. NASA do actually scan the whole of the world not just Egypt or they did? I am not sure now that Russia has taken over most stuff, one mainly being the space missions but i don't know what else russia has taken over.
It is only the calendar that runs out, which does not really mean much at all, that calendar didn't start when the world started so no doubt the world won't end the calendar ends. The world was predicted to end in 1993 and 2009 by other ancient acclaims but all failed as we still here today. :lol:
IMO it will be the human race that puts and end to the world.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

San, the Mayans haven't predicted the end of the world. :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Many believe that the count down in the years shown on the Mayan calendar relates to the end of the days for the earth. I for one don't believe it to be true. This is just one article printed in the sun newspaper about it, end of last year.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... -2012.html
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

As long as I get a good summer before it all ends! :wink:

Just made this thread to give people early warning of possible serious cold mid month....I'm with Dave in relation to how the models forecast badly at distance but just incase have all you need on standby. we should know in 5 ish days IF the siberian blast is coming or not....hopefully NOT. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I wouldn't use the Sun as a reference for anything other than a backup for toilet paper emergencies San.

Have a Google referencing Boone's translation of Mayan scripts and, in particular, the end of the cycle (as opposed to the end of the world) which the Maya wrote much on.

Alternatively, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm33qNR2 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNS4ZxfG ... re=related

Did you see the fish?
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Not Mayan prophecies again icon_silent :roll:

Thanks Tom for the heads up, guess we all got a bit too comfy, cold was bound to come sooner or later :(
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Trudytropics wrote:Not Mayan prophecies again icon_silent :roll:

Thanks Tom for the heads up, guess we all got a bit too comfy, cold was bound to come sooner or later :(
Look on the bright side Trudy - you wont need to outlay for any Christmas presents this year. :roll: :lol:

Put the money towards a nice comfy deckchair so you can sit back on the 12/12/12 and watch Uranus go into conjunction :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Gogglebox said the mayans DIDNT foresee end of the world !!
Only that their 5000 year calendar ended with a planetary alignment and it was a coincidence.

Stephen, what is causing this record stratospheric warming , surely thats the issue here ? The 00Z looks horrendous this morning. This is not the same as the ADA.. right ?
It looks to me that this time the blocking is not greenland high but scandinavian high, therefore the UK should be more insulated as the blocking is going up the spine of the UK , if that plume of warm air were cut off then the vortex would resume or not ?
Last edited by Nigel on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote: however with record breaking Strat warming, you have to actually take these things seriously..
How long have we had global strat temperature monitoring/records? Meteorological Satellites have only been in use for maybe 30 years. Before that it involved sending a helium balloon up, so was not very widespread.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

What causes this strat warming? The charts today are a spread some say expect cold others say not so cold.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Stratopsheric warming is an upper atmosphere version of our lower, it moves around - there are areas with anomalously warm stratosphere all the time, but the problem comes for us, when it is anomalously warm over the Arctic. Arctic Strat warming almost always sets up over northern Siberia, and this has the problem of re-jigging the pressure systems, meaning low pressure is often forced over eastern Europe and down to us, all shaped by the high westwards of the warming anomaly itself, so we get cold, sometimes easterlies. Occassionally the Strat warming may take place over other parts of the world, Greenland for example, but that is less of an issue.

Unfortunately for us, the warming has taken place over Siberia/Russia.

Dave, long enough to be sure that there is a significant correlation between Stratospheric warming, and cold winters.

A few recent winters that showed stratospheric warming.

1981, 1987, 1990, 2001, 2005 and 2009/2010.

Tom even if the first push of cold doesn't occur, it may take 1-2 more attempts, but it will get there, it's a little like a cul-de-sac, were very limited in out options of how we can get out of the potential. Other than another record PV and a cooler-than-forecast Arctic stratosphere, it is unlikely we will dodge the cold bullet at some point in the next 2-3 weeks.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:Stratopsheric warming is an upper atmosphere version of our lower, it moves around - there are areas with anomalously warm stratosphere all the time, but the problem comes for us, when it is anomalously warm over the Arctic. Arctic Strat warming almost always sets up over northern Siberia, and this has the problem of re-jigging the pressure systems, meaning low pressure is often forced over eastern Europe and down to us, all shaped by the high westwards of the warming anomaly itself, so we get cold, sometimes easterlies. Occassionally the Strat warming may take place over other parts of the world, Greenland for example, but that is less of an issue.

Unfortunately for us, the warming has taken place over Siberia/Russia.

Dave, long enough to be sure that there is a significant correlation between Stratospheric warming, and cold winters.

A few recent winters that showed stratospheric warming.

1981, 1987, 1990, 2001, 2005 and 2009/2010
Stephen I dont see the same apocalyptic cold as last year, and the cold of 2009/2010 was surely a new type of stratospheric warming they dubbed the ADA. I agree its going to get cold but I dont see apocalyptic cold. Warming over siberia is not new and I warned about that some days ago, that kind of cold is usually quite severe but the english channel takes the edge off it. If it lasts more than 2 weeks it would be quite serious.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Nigel, it sure as heck doesn't take the edge of it here, being inland in those scenarios, guarantees a -7C before it's even begun! I agree though if you're south or east coast you have little to worry about.

The only positive I can take is perhaps Crosby will get some exceptionally low temperatures, which is always good to see - as long as I'm not in them :lol: