What Software for Weather Station Charts and Graphs?

Kristen

What Software for Weather Station Charts and Graphs?

Post by Kristen »

I've got an El Cheapo Weather Station that came with "Easy Weather" software - which is very lo-brow.

I ditched that some time ago in favour of Cumulus which is freeware capable of acquiring data from a wide range of weather station brands; it record the data to simple delimited files and can upload to Wunderground etc.

It has some simple graphs, which are OK, but I can't get the flexibility that I seem to want.

Anything else anyone can recommend? I'm happy with the data-gathering of Cumulus, so its only really the "presentation" that I'm looking for.

I'm not keen on Excel for this - unless someone can tell me a "better way". For example, I can easily import the data into Excel, but unless I'm being a complete Muppet Excel can only display fixed-scale data on its graph axis - so my Axis goes
01:00, 02:00, 03:00 ... 06:55, 07:55, ...
where there were not an exact number of readings-per-hour at some point.

I'd also like to be able to aggregate to a more granular sampling rate when I look at longer term period, rather than having very spiky graphs because of the sheer volume of data captured at 5 minute intervals.

And doing a graph of yesterday-and-today it might be nice to be able to overlay the two, at the click-of-a-button, to find the best way to illustrate that "tonight", compared to "last night", the temperature is plummeting

All ideas and suggestions welcome, even if it is that I have to build my own website using Google Code's Graph feature and provide a free service to the rest of humanity!
musabasjoos

Re: What Software for Weather Station Charts and Graphs?

Post by musabasjoos »

I use weather display and publish that to weatherunderground. Im not sure whether your device is supported though.

http://www.weather-display.com/index.php
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I know mine as a "Fine Offset White-Label" so this is probably going to be fine:

WH1081PC/National Geographic/Zephur/Fine Offset/WX-2008,Watson/Ambient WS-1080/2080 USB station

I'll take a more detailed look, thanks :)
Nick

Post by Nick »

I have a Weather Station from Maplins, I have Cumulus installed on my computer, which is great, the data it shows is fantastic, but that's were the greatness ends sadly, you can't seem to copy or paste any of the data onto any weather spreadsheet and the graphs are so thin and fine that it all looks messy, the weather station is giving great info/data but there's nothing I can do with it other than note it down to add to a spreadsheet, I would love to be able to do a print out of all the data, and when you print anything, it's just the main page, again is there anything out there that will let me print it off or copy it to a spreadsheet :?: :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've imported the data from, e.g, Jan12Log.TXT into Excel. You have to format the first two columns to Date and Time respectively.

Two methods:

1) Just open the file, Excel should recognise it as "Delimited", and you should be able to tell it that it is delimited, ad the Delimiter is a Comma.

I import every column as TEXT (there is no TIME on import, so only doing DATE column doesn't help much).

Once its all in a "Temporary" sheet I select all and copy to clipboard, then use "Paste Special : Values" into my actual data sheet (on which I have already formatted the first two columns to Date & Time formats)

2) Copy from the Jan12Log.TXT file to clipboard and past directly into the next free row of the target sheet. All the data will go into Column A. Then select the block of new data and use "Data : Text co columns" and you should get the same Delimiter options as above

Note that opening Jan12Log.TXT IN Excel is probably not a good diea because that will prevent Cumulus from appending new data to the file (fine for earlier completed months' files though), whereas opening Jan12Log.TXT in Notepad will be fine - just don't accidentally SAVE it back from Notepad

If that doesn't work tell me what steps you are doing and I'll see if I can help; PM me if you prefer.

However ... getting the data into Excel is one thing, it doesn't get the graphs!, but once in Excel it can then be manipulated into a format required by some other software - perhaps!