How many hours continuous sub zero are you currently on?

RogerBacardy

Re: How many hours continuous sub zero are you currently on?

Post by RogerBacardy »

about -6C last night! http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... ENGLAND425
el paso

Post by el paso »

At last after 192 consecutive subzero hours we have seen a temp of 0.5 . It lasted for a hour before dropping back below zero .
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Since the 13 of Januari it has stayed below zero here! And it will get above zero probably Saturday or Sunday. So then we had 2 weeks of subzero weather.

Alexander
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

el paso wrote:At last after 192 consecutive subzero hours we have seen a temp of 0.5 . It lasted for a hour before dropping back below zero .

:ahhh!:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

96!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well I guess we have to beat you on that at this side of the Northsea.

Unfortunately!

Alexander
dk

Post by dk »

The freeze is finally over. icon_sunny

After 14 days with an average temperature below 0 we have now been above freezing since midnight. And the temperature is said to reach 6-8 degrees on a daily basis in the next week or so, if we are lucky. This two week sub-zero freeze was only interrupted on day nine with above zero degrees (+1,8 degrees) for a few hours. It is one of the longest cold spells I can remember, only beaten by 2009-2010.

Without a protective snow cover I'm sure the cold will have made a huge impact on the garden and there will be many casualties come spring. The only good news is that the temperature did not fall below -6,3 during the cold spell...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

dk wrote:The freeze is finally over. icon_sunny

After 14 days with an average temperature below 0 we have now been above freezing since midnight. And the temperature is said to reach 6-8 degrees on a daily basis in the next week or so, if we are lucky. This two week sub-zero freeze was only interrupted on day nine with above zero degrees (+1,8 degrees) for a few hours. It is one of the longest cold spells I can remember, only beaten by 2009-2010.

Without a protective snow cover I'm sure the cold will have made a huge impact on the garden and there will be many casualties come spring. The only good news is that the temperature did not fall below -6,3 during the cold spell...
How cold does it get there by the way? Here we had several nights colder then -10 C. And to grow such a large number of exotic plants in Norway must be qieut a challenge!

Still frost here, but it will be finished soon!

Alexander
dk

Post by dk »

On my protected islands and in similar places you normally won't see temperatures below -10 in colder years. Inland or in frost hollows you will get temperatures a few degrees below that. Inversions are a real problem when we have a sationary high pressure above scandinavia without any wind. Bottom of valleys are the worst place you can live in these set ups.

For me it is definitely not the temperature in itself that kills, but the prolonged cold spells we've seen these last couple of winters. I've not got enough experience yet to know how two weeks of cold will impact my garden, but cordylines did not look happy after the much shorter cold spell i december... Hoping for the best but expecting the worst....
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

So up to now we have had 4 Weeks of minus Temps. For the Last week it has Been -8 in the day and Last Night was -13.
so around 696 hours of nothing above -4.
they say it will be Warming up from tomorrow onwards. Will be glad to get above 0.