Back in the freezer every week !

kohwoz

Re: Ding, ding! seconds out, Round 6 of 2012/13 winter freez

Post by kohwoz »

Conifers wrote:Just been reading on another forum, 45 cm level snow in Normandy, France :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
Thats worse than here, We have 20cm and tomorrow afternoon were getting more. Frankfurt airport is closed due to snow. Looks like we are getting it again. Sick and tired of it now. Its now minus 10 outside, BUT lovely clear skies, great looking through the telescope.. BUT my poor palme wrapped only in fleece with a outer covering of bubble wrap .
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

RogerBacardy wrote:Sure, it's obviously well below average (especially compared to the over 20C I got last Tuesday), but for me, 'this' cold spell ended today when my temps got just above 5C.

Now only protecting some plants when the temp is below zero. So some of my nanas and my Dicksonia antarctica are fleeced for tonight, but I'm not protecting agaves and butias which needed help in midwinter.

P.S. We're fast approaching the vernal equinox, which is the when the rate of day-lengthening reaches its maximum, almost 4 mins extra light per day. Doesn't sound a lot, but it's almost 30 mins extra light per week. :)

Concur were through the worst of it now, and with longer days, higher sun, I don't think there are many threats left considering majority on here use decent protection when needed anyway.

Most wrapping techniques preached on here, straw cage Musa Basjoo wrap, fleece bags over more tender palms, will laugh off this week icon_study
Alexander

Re: Back in the freezer this week

Post by Alexander »

Well here its a big freezer again.

Several places below -10 C at the moment!

Sort of weather you could expect in January.

But 13 March???

Well one thing is for sure, this night, and the coming ones probably also, coldrecords will be broken!

Well I still rember very well those doomsdaytales of so called scientist that due to Globalwarming the Alps would seldom get snow, The Netherlands would get a warm mediterranean climate, Spain would turn into a bonedry dessert etcetera.
Well no the real fact, in Bretange some frooze to dead, up to 50 cm of snow in Normandy. Only thing still missing here are reindeer and polarbears.

Well WWF will be very surprised I suppose when polarbears turn up along our coast...

Alexander
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Alexander wrote:Only thing still missing here are reindeer and polarbears.

Well WWF will be very surprised I suppose when polarbears turn up along our coast...
There was a Walrus in Orkney last week icon_thumright
dk

Post by dk »

Conifers wrote:
Alexander wrote:Only thing still missing here are reindeer and polarbears.

There was a Walrus in Orkney last week icon_thumright
Interesting coincident, there was a young one spotted west of Bergen just a few days ago resting on a tiny rocky islet. They believed it must have been 30 years since they've spotted one this far south, coinciding with the last period of cold winters. And now we're having another bloody cold one...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Get ready for the frost fairs on the Thames :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Not as cold as expected here last night, low of -1.2c and a healthy 8.2c high yesterday.

Looks like being another sunny day today, fairly clear blue skies at the moment.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Didn't even get frost last night! :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The coldest night of the week and month coming up tonight guys. Widely -3C and down to -5c and lower in many places. Scotland in the Glens are going to get double digit minus figures. After that its not going to be as cold BUT as Stephen says there is no end in sight, or rather no spring weather in site. In fact right out into the last week of March, there are few or no signs of spring in any of the model outputs. icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

No frost last night, thanks to the cloud cover.
Currently 70% cloudy, no sun at the moment.

A -4C forecast for tonight in London, if this holds it will be the coldest night of this winter.

Looking very bleak for the next 2 weeks, but no lethal temps.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Record low temperatures recorded in the snow covered area's with official weather stations. Large number of stations saw between the -10/-13C last night. Only two nights since 1900 where colder in March. Record low's expected as well tonight and tomorrow night. Yeah, winter is 100% back again and how!

Cold here as well but with -4C under clear sky's not that bad. Normally I don't see that much frost after 15 march, but this will be changed I guess if I look the models... :(
GMT_TNTN_13032013.png
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:shock:

Good grief! Hope everything survives for you there EL.

I find it incredible that Southern England and Northern Europe are taking such a battering while up here in the NWUK we're getting forecasts like this:

Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

GoggleboxUK wrote::shock:

Good grief! Hope everything survives for you there EL.

I find it incredible that Southern England and Northern Europe are taking such a battering while up here in the NWUK we're getting forecasts like this:
Not that worried, proberly 2-3 other similair frosty nights like last night (-4) or maybe even milder. That map is based on official weather stations, so most of the time a few degrees colder then gardens inside a big city or village. Now the most of the official weather stations with -10C or below had a snow cover so it was not really that surprising to see that this morning.

For the weekend they forecast 10-12C already again with frost free nights but more rain then, so not that pleasent spring weather from last week with sunshine and 17-19C but always better then this afterwinter.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I find it incredible that Southern England and Northern Europe are taking such a battering while up here in the NWUK we're getting forecasts like this:

I don't know where in Southern England you mean, but London's looking warmer than Preston.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

According to some of my Facebook pals it's snowing in London.

Plus it's a massive urban conurbation and, as such, will always be warmer due to the amount of concrete it's made of and the huge population leaking heat through rooves, windows and doors.