Coldest spring since 1979 (now revised to 1962)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Coldest spring since 1979 (now revised to 1962)

Post by Dave Brown »

It's official.... it's the coldest spring since 1979,and the 6th coldest on record. I'm presuming that whatever happens now in May won't make any difference to those figures.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Re: Coldest spring since 1979

Post by Adam D »

Where did you pick this up from Dave?

I have been looking around the Met Office and BBC News website and I can't see any mention of it.

After the warmth of Monday and Tuesday we are back to the chilly weather and I have today and tomorrow off work. Talk about bad timing :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

since I started gardening we had the coldest winter for x years, the coldest summer for x years and the coldest spring for x years.

I just need autumn for the set. :lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote: I'm presuming that whatever happens now in May won't make any difference to those figures.
Well it's sleeting here right now, so that won't help at all! :evil: icon_aaargh
flounder

Post by flounder »

Mr List wrote:since I started gardening we had the coldest winter for x years, the coldest summer for x years and the coldest spring for x years.

So, Ken....it's your fault! :twisted:
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

The cold weather is relentless it seems, it sucks to have started gardening at the time our climate seems to be turning cooler. In many ways it seems like peeing in the wind. :|
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sleet rain and hail, anyone would think it is winter :roll:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Holland is very close to his coldest since 1962. Top 10 coldest springs is very sure, depending on what the rest of the month does a top 5 place coldest spring since 1901 is still possible for some of the official weather stations.
multim

Post by multim »

Well, I didn't need the BBC to tell me that it's been cold this Spring, wet last Summer. In fact. pretty awful since the Summer of '06!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Well I was born in 1979 so coldest spring in my lifetime I've witnessed that's for sure.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Soon be the coldest summer as well looking at the way its going. 8C here today, heavy showers and we are forecast 60mph gales tomorrow. I can't possibly protect the fronds of my tree ferns to suspect they will be all snapped off. :evil: I am really at the end of my tether with our climate now. I accept extremes but we are just having month after month of extremes and broken records, and for all the wrong reasons.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

This year I have brought more plants than ever. Seem like I am not going to see them in all their glory the way the weather is going. :(
kata

Post by kata »

Really biting cold wind here,

No Inclination to buy much at Homebase except two New Guinea Impatiens a quid each. They will flower again when I plant them.

All their tall plants were on the floor where they fell in the wind.

icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its not been the coldest Spring down here in Southampton but the dullest for decades.

Even though May has been fairly sunny so far it won't make up for the awful March and April so another year of below averages is coming I think.

Today so far has been showery but not that cold but the wind was strong from the northwest all day.

We did at least have some decent sunny spells between the light showers and it got up to a reasonable +13c.

Still chilly for late May however and it may be even colder tomorrow with rain at times.

billdango :( :(
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

flounder wrote:
Mr List wrote:since I started gardening we had the coldest winter for x years, the coldest summer for x years and the coldest spring for x years.

So, Ken....it's your fault! :twisted:
it does feel like it sometimes :lol: