Outlook might be changing ????

stephenprudence

Re: Outlook remains excellent

Post by stephenprudence »

Outlook is still good! Perhaps trending towards a few frosts later this week, but in general the chance of mild is always there... certainly no hideous cold showing as yet. We can be thankful for this. For some of us, we may not get a frost in December, if this carries on. Lowest up to this point in December here has been 3.5C
Nigel

Re: Outlook might be changing ????

Post by Nigel »

Spoke to Stephen about this a couple of days ago, I see signs of stratospheric warming, Stephen thinks i am worrying about nothing so i am being the negative one this time. Time will tell its early days, but if it bears out there would be a snowy holiday. Be right Stephen.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

There is a chance you could be right, but I'm not too worried, and for the moment, I see cold zonality, rather than deadly blocking, but argument is it could be trending (evolving) to the latter.

It's ok for now, I think. icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

stephenprudence wrote:There is a chance you could be right, but I'm not too worried, and for the moment, I see cold zonality, rather than deadly blocking, but argument is it could be trending (evolving) to the latter.

It's ok for now, I think. icon_thumright
Cold zonality gives the northern half of the UK lots of snow, great, lots of mechanical plant damage to look forward to, sigh.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I wouldnt say no to a bit of snow at xmas! in fact I love a white xmas, nothing in my garden that would be of concern with a load of snow icon_thumleft
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Horrendous gale and rain, moving the glass in our front south facing window!
We're used to gales off the sea here but this is a humdinger tonight!
Glad everything is put away but the poor plants are being swung over and back and sideways!!
Rain battering the window, quite spectacular weather.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Outlook has changed here!, also gale force wind's heavy rain, palms & bamboo's almost bending horizontal :( .karl.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

More wind and rain here, yawn!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Temperature at 21.28: 8.9
Temperature at 21.34: 7.3

1.6 degrees in 6 mins . . . if it carries on at that rate (the Stephen P forecast method :lol: ), 16 degrees per hour, it'll be -170° by morning :ahhh!:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

windy!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Blowing a storm here!! Just passing over though so hopefully will calm down before the next one hits on Friday! I suppose we can't have it all, at least its not sub zero.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Actually we are still in the same weather pattern, it is just that the high has slipped south slightly allowing the huge polar vortex to lash us with its outer edge. But we are still on the mild side of the jet, just about.
i am worrying about the period after christmas and up to new yeat, the models dont show alarming temperatures , yet i dont see how the temperatures can hold up like that. It looks like cold and snow to me , but neither the weather people nor Stephen agree with me, so i guess I must be wrong. I hope so.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Nigel wrote:Actually we are still in the same weather pattern, it is just that the high has slipped south slightly allowing the huge polar vortex to lash us with its outer edge. But we are still on the mild side of the jet, just about.
i am worrying about the period after christmas and up to new yeat, the models dont show alarming temperatures , yet i dont see how the temperatures can hold up like that. It looks like cold and snow to me , but neither the weather people nor Stephen agree with me, so i guess I must be wrong. I hope so.
The jet looks like it will sink south but only to allow cold zonality so I'm hopeful of no deep cold.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Nigel wrote:Actually we are still in the same weather pattern, it is just that the high has slipped south slightly allowing the huge polar vortex to lash us with its outer edge. But we are still on the mild side of the jet, just about.
I can see snow on the mountains and hills around here. None locally, thankfully.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Had lunch in a t-shirt today in a sunny and sheltered spot, was glorious icon_sunny Looking mild and S-SWly right into January.