widespread frost 11th Jan.. heads up and all that

stephenprudence

widespread frost 11th Jan.. heads up and all that

Post by stephenprudence »

I doubt anyone needs it to be honest, things are protected, but the weather has been favourable recently, so tonight will come as shock. Already large areas of the Midlands, are seeing temperatures around 0 to -3C currently, so it may get colder as the night goes on.

Here it's 0.4C.. so second air frost of the Winter likely, I'll have to go and fire up the heater. It's ok though!
sanatic1234

Re: widespread frost tonight.. heads up and all that

Post by sanatic1234 »

Didn't check what i had thursday night leading in friday morning stephen but it was only light, but still frost is a frost. i have put my protection on today as well as its felt very cold all day, so just a precaution really but it won't be tomorrow as wind and rain is moving in for a short while.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Frosty here this morning even though it did not get to minus C. Accuweather has 1C for here tonight but the thermometer in my GH says 0.9C. I put the heater on to keep my babies happy. Have some smallish musa basjoo and Dicksonia in fill leaf in there and want to see what happens to them. I have a problem with mould on the tradescantia and other plants. Rest of week looks well 0C.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

You really want to see to that mould blairs, take them outside during the day and clean them down, i get it on the ends of my cut off stems on the canna's i just take them outside wipe the tops down rinsing the cloth after every wipe, then put them back in the storage room and try to increase more airflow. via window and fan.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

-0.9C here so far and nothing protected here.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just been out to check and my temperature in my garden and i have -2c. glad I did go with my gut feeling and protect earlier. Only thing i didn't was my echium but i doubt i will be seeing -5c tonight or lower. I can rest easy. :-)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Covered my tree ferns and solitary echium and got the fan on in my newly repaired poly house. Glad I did as iced over here.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
flounder

Post by flounder »

It's 'warmed up' to 2c now with some broken cloud
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Wow, its white as white out there this morning. Wasnt expecting a frost like that.
Anyone from my area know what the temp dropped down to, roughly?

Post by cordyman »

Hardest frost so far. Decking and fences are white. Temp are above 0 and clear sunny skies. Certainly helps the winter mood a bit of sun.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

+2 deg at the mo but did drop to -1.6 deg overnight
multim

Post by multim »

Minus 3.2c here last night, still white and frosty despite current plus 3.6c. Sun shining now and milder due again this week.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

at 9:50 am when i checked i had only risen up to 0c. My grass, fence, shed roof, wheelie bins and so on are white with frost, i must of got lower than -2c. My echium however looks not to be effected at all the growth point is very healthy on it still, t-rex is a different story now from what is left of the leaves anyway the wind destroyed most of it. :lol: at least there is no frost tonight folks, i look good now for the next 4 days. :-)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You can't tell how cold it was by looking at frost San. If very dry air dewpoint may not be reached so no frost regardless of how cold the temperature was, equally if the dewpoint is very high you can get a spectacular frost when only just below freezing.

Fell to-2.5C here, coldest night of the winter so far. Nothing protected, and Washingtonia lights not switched on. Only things that will have been affected will be those that have no chance of going through winter anyway. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: widespread frost last night.. heads up and all that

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am not saying you can tell by looking at it dave :lol: , that is why i have a thermometer to tell me, what i mean is it would of probably fallen by another 1c at least i was at -2c before 12:30 am last night, i would of been surprised if it had kept at -2c for nearly 10 hours? may be it could of?