'Cold snap' next week....

bodster

Re: 'Cold snap' next week....

Post by bodster »

What do you have against the south coast stephen? You're always predicting bad weather here :(
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

BBC now predicting -3C for Sunday and Monday nights here :(
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

bodster wrote:What do you have against the south coast stephen? You're always predicting bad weather here :(
:lol: don't take it personally Martin!

You won't have the lowest temperatures, but what you'll find it your daytime temperature won't rise as much as in the west. I think generally near the south coast temperature will stay just above freezing on the south coast and around freezing at night a few miles inland, maybe rising to 2C in the day or something like that depending on the strength of the wind.

Don't worry about it though :)

If anyone should be worrying its me, southeasterly air flow in winter here can do what the northeasterly flow did to Cornwall a month ago!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Being near to the continent the south east always cops low daytime temps in these set ups, but night time temps shouldn't go too low, (well not as low as the last cold snap anyway!), we get the coldest night time temps from northerly winds, as the air cools down on its way over the whole country before it hits the south...
The local weather here at lunchtime had highs of 3C for Sunday & Monday down here, with snow flurries! icon_bigsmurf
jezza

Post by jezza »

So who's right then? bbc says it's going to freeze this weekend yet uk.weather.com say it's not dropping less than +4c icon_scratch
stephenprudence

I have a feeling the Beeb may be closer to the mark...

take the middle point?
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Hmmm...having just read this, it doesn't look too bad for us, and our local weather forecast (see attachment) doesn't look too bad either, with the lowest forecast being -2C, so not that extreme. There is a little snow forecast for Monday though :roll: Not sure whether that's good or bad :lol:

Pete
Attachments
weather.jpg
jezza

Post by jezza »

I'll have Phoenix canariensis_CIDP fleeced for the weekend then 8)
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

So Stephen, sounds like a south easterly is not good for Manchester. Do you reckon its gona be another -7C here ? Hopefully no lower :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Another cold weekend coming

Post by Dave Brown »

getting a bit fed up of the cold, even when it is not cold, it isn't mild. Where are those 11 to 15C we normally get on the odd day.

1C with 26 mph North easteries :evil: ..... won't be washing the cars this weekend then :roll:
290109 5 day weather.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

TOP BANANA wrote:So Stephen, sounds like a south easterly is not good for Manchester. Do you reckon its gona be another -7C here ? Hopefully no lower :(
You'll do better than me in terms of temperature. If you get -7C I'll get -10C! in these setups. I think my location will probably end up with another -5C and you probably -3 or -4C, nothing horrific, but not what we want if truth be told.
col

Post by col »

The BBC have revised our local forthcoming temps in a downward direction. We now have -2C min for Sun, Mon and Tues and -3C min on Wednesday night. Maximums won't be any warmer than 2C at best. Groan :cry: icon_thumbdown

Getting impatient and just plain fed up of it now. Roll on the first signs of spring!
col

Post by col »

They've revised it upwards in the warmer direction now :roll:

My conclusion? The BBC are not reliable enough to give weather forecasts....
eddie

Post by eddie »

Well here at The Hague at the dutch north-sea coast it's around -2 at night and +4 during the day. icon_thumbdown

Should be around 10-12 C on average winterdays here. I'm getting pretty bored with this winter as well. Whats happened to the influence of the relatively warm seawater?
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
stephenprudence

Col, I've always had my reservations about computerised forecasts. At the end of the day the met-office almost 100% uses computerised data. I suppose the only alternative and anywhere near accurate forecast chart is the met-office FAX chart which is compiled using human forecasting, which in the short term is a lot more accurate than computer cased forecasts. The TV presented forecasts are largely driven by computerised forecasts, but once in a while they may ditch the computers and use their own if they're not happy.

Just a note, you can see an area of snow which is due to hit the southern parts of UK on Monday into Tuesday, it's showing up over Germany and Czech Republic now.