Crows

grub

Crows

Post by grub »

Not too sure where to put this but as it may be weather related I thought I'd ask here icon_shaking2 :lol: . Any other rural readers seeing a distinct lack of Crows ? Usually by now I'm inundated with the bloody things often with them falling down the chimney and flapping round the dining room :evil: . This year I'm seeing next to none icon_scratch ,its the first year in the 12 we've lived here without any in the chimney and all the trees seem pretty much devoid of crows so the question is I guess "where are they?"
DavidF

Re: Crows

Post by DavidF »

I think they've all moved to Tod Grub. There's tons of them here, that's if they are crows, they might be rooks, or jackdaws, but there's plenty of them whatever they are.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Only got a couple round here, there's an increase in magpies though. Got two red kites fly overhead as well.
grub

Post by grub »

DavidF wrote:I think they've all moved to Tod Grub. There's tons of them here, that's if they are crows, they might be rooks, or jackdaws, but there's plenty of them whatever they are.
That's it Fletch! How dim am I :oops:
They obviously migrated north for the milder winters :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

In a bad winter the small birds migrate to suburban gardens where there is more food. Also the small rodent population may plummet in rural areas. If the food source moves the predators move with them. I know crows are not predators as such, but they rely on carrion. If everything dies out or move to town, they follow.

I recall Munich in 1986 in December, and the place was alive with them. They were like Transilvanian bats. They all went out of town in the morning and returned to the warmer city before nightfall. There were stream of them from all directions. :lol:

We seem to have a resident pair of Wood pidgeons now, never had those in the last 24 years :D Millions of Collared Doves though.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Petefree »

Crows down chimneys sounds quite unusual, Grub. That's usually typical jackdaw behaviour.
I haven't noticed a particular shortage around here - although crows (as in Carrion Crows) don't normally occur in big flocks that's much more the style of rooks and jackdaws.
I have quite a lot of respect for the crow family, they are incredibly intelligent and resourceful.
Around the coast here they learn to pick up mussels from the beach then fly up high with them and drop them onto rocks to crack open the shell so they can eat them. Clearly learned behaviour which they then pass on to each other. It's entertaining, though you do have to look out for low flying shellfish when you go out for a coastal walk!
Pete